New TV or a new computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallente

Solid State Member
I was planning on buying a new computer, however the thought crossed my mind to buy an HDTV and the 3 home consoles instead.

The cost of the TV and 3 consoles would end up being a bit more, however I wouldn't have to upgrade so I figure it'll come out about even.

Here's the computer I would purchase If I decided to go with it.

Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS

Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, TUV, CB, FCC CLASS B, CUL

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

ViewSonic VX922 Black/Silver 19" 2ms gray-to-gray (avg.); 2ms white-black-white (typ) LCD Monitor 270 cd/m2 650:1 0.294mm Pixel Pitch

NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE 16X DVD±R DVD Burner

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 1GHz HT 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor

eVGA 256-P2-N563-AX Geforce 7900GT CO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Logitech X-530 70 Watts 5.1 Speaker

The TV I was looking at.

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK Black 42" 16:9 Professional Series HD Plasma Display

And the 3 consoles, of course.

Now, a couple questions:

Are Plasma TVs good for gaming?

Does anyone have any experience with that specific television?

What would you, personally, do?

definately go for the computer, i mean im not into console gaming that much. yes a big TV like that would be nice, but again not into consoles at all.........if i was in your situation i would go for the computer hands down.

Me too. But the Xbox360 looks awesome on a HDTV so I reckon it will come down to personal preference. Do you like console gaming because like hmammen I like PC gaming but I am getting a Xbox360 in a couple of weeks. I played Oblivion on my brothers and it was something else and he hasn't even got a HDTV.

If you're going to go console why get all 3 of the new ones, just go for whatever one you want most. Personally I like the look of th ps3 most so far, but time will tell.

Just ask yourself what games you like to play, computer or console. And if you like console games, think about what third party games you like. For example if you like Rpg's then you'd want Square Enix games and therefore you'd get the TV and Ps3. Personally I would get a computer because I like Counterstrike but it really depends on what you like.

just buy a PS2 and an HDTV.

The PS2 is never going to be phased out, and its so cheap!

If your desperate for a computer, call DELL and get a $100 computer.

My brother loves his sports and also can't live without his videogames, I have trouble differentiating between what is more important to him, a very high end pc, or the best large screen T.V. and sound system he can get.

I mention this only as a frame of reference, for me, I love games, I could care a less if the programs I enjoy are not so good in apearence and sound, for games, I need the best experience I can get, I spend quite a bit on hardware.

Thanks for all the replies. :)

I went to Circut City yesterday and looked at the TV I mentioned in person, and I think I'm going to go with the PC.

One more question:

Are you able to hook up next-gen consoles to PC monitors? And if you are, will it look good?

Thanks. :D

Computer all the way.. i'm kinda biased though as I don't actually watch any TV and i've never owned a console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom