Mass Effect 3: Omega DLC

xIx EDGE xIx

Fully Optimized
Here's my super detailed review of the Omega DLC. I'll put the short, non-spoiler one first, then the spoiler on beneath it.

-----------------------------------------------------

NON SPOILER:

It's way too short to merit a $15 price tag (in my opinion, even 800 MSP might be pushing it). Basically, I'm going to give a short synopsis of my thoughts, then outline what I thought was done well and what I thought wasn't.

I don't want to label it a "bad" DLC, so instead I'll go with underwhelming. Past the price and the length, the other main issue that people may have is that it's almost all action. While I agree, the game isn't a great action game (nor is it supposed to be), it was sort of unavoidable in a storyline consisting of storming a station and taking it by force.

There are new characters that are likeable, and there are new weapons, mods, and powers that can be acquired (Aria's flare attack is God-like, and you can unlock it for yourself upon completion).

I will give BioWare credit in that while there wasn't much story per say, they did what they could given the circumstances. The larger issue to me is that it felt more like a giant, drawn out side mission rather than an important piece of content and/or a main mission. In short, I say wait until it goes on sale, if you can. I'm a huge fan of the series so this kind of stuff always turns into a day one buy for me, but if you don't mind waiting for it to go on sale, then trust me, wait it out and you'll be glad that you did.

-----------------------------------------------------

SPOILER REVIEW:

I'm going to break this up into three parts (the good, the ok, and the bad) and talk a little about each.

The good:

- The most obvious thing is the environments; my God are they gorgeous! It seemed like every little corner was carefully crafted and detailed. Even at the end by the entrance to Afterlife I had to stop and do a double take to scope out the old digs. The skyline here particularly caught my eye; in ME2, it was just mostly red with a few random rocks here and there from the asteroid; in this DLC, you look up and literally see the bottom of the giant asteroid that houses Omega, detailed as anything. Great job by the people at BioWare who designed the maps, environments, all of it.

- Another highlight is the new characters. We knew what to expect from Aria, but Nyreen and General Petrovsky were newcomers to the scene (if you're not into comics that is). Nyreen was basically like a female Garrus, meaning badass and noble. She sort of took on an "Archangel" role herself by uniting the Talon gang to turn from petty crime and smuggling to trying to liberate and aid the citizens of Omega. She was likeable from the start, and solidified that even more along the way. I thought the scene toward the end where she sacrificed herself was sad, tragic, and incredibly done. You could see early that there was something deep with her and the Adjutants, so the fact that she was so selfless in looking fear straight in the eye and conquering it to save the nearby people speaks for itself.

Adjutants are reaper creations that Cerberus is experimenting with. Just like the collectors were once Prothean, the codex states that DNA samples point to the fact that these are from a race that existed several cycles before the Protheans.

Petrovsky, on the other hand, was exactly what you would come to expect from a top Cerberus agent. Shady, sly, cunning, he had it all. Even at the end when he "surrenders" he's doing it with planned out intent to save himself and nothing more. If he was present throughout the entire game, I think he would have been even stronger as a villain.

The so-so:

- While there were a few big choices in the game, they seemed too easy. The first one is dealing with the reactor, where you are tasked with deciding to either overload it and help Aria & Nyreen right away, and killing thousands in the process, or reroute it, which takes just a bit longer as they try and hold down. It really was a no brainer to reroute the power because it only took maybe an extra 15 seconds, and you never actually felt like either Aria or Nyreen was in real danger. Sure, they were under fire, but I never got the feeling like it was something they couldn't handle.

The other major choice lies in either arresting Petrovsky or allowing Aria to kill him in cold blood. Again, a no brainer really because you will most likely side with whatever morality side you side with; in other words, paragon players will most likely arrest him without hesitation, and renegade players will sit back and watch him get what was coming; though, if you renegade it all the way through you got a little bonus smooch from Aria as a thanks.

Even though he offered "valuable intel on the Illusive Man", how many times have we heard that and seen it turn into nothing but a few extra war asset points? Which, by the way, is exactly what this is (it's 30 war assets if you wanted to know). I would label these choices in the 'good' category, but already knowing that war assets essentially mean nothing in the end (especially when you already have enough to unlock all of the endings) it's hard to get excited for it.

- The action. Again, I can't really hate on it because the entire premise of taking back Omega kind of needed to center around action, otherwise, the entire point of the DLC is going to be weak. While the combat has improved from game to game in the Mass Effect franchise, it's not an action game, nor should it ever be. In this instance, it just felt like shooting up a room, walking into a new room to explore, stepping into the room beyond that, exploring the room beyond that, shooting up the room after that, etc, etc, etc, the end.

- The crazy prophet. He's back! And he was right, the end IS nigh! Reapers destroying the galaxy, Cerberus controlling Omega, it's all here. I though it was a nice touch and was hoping that he would have a cameo, but I guess I was hoping for a little more. In ME2, he talked about blights on the galaxy, saying you, and you, and YOOOUUUUUU! I was hoping that when I ran by him he would notice me and give some witty remark, but nothing, he was just preaching is same old crazy banter to a large crowd. Maybe I'm being picky, but hey, for $15 I think I have a right to be.

- Mordin's clinic. At first thought, WIN! However, it's been stripped down and is hardly noticeable. I want to label it good because it's a nice touch, but I also want to label it bad for a certain reason, hence the so-so grade. What I mean by bad is that I wasn't particularly fond of the remark from Shepard (ok, maybe I'm being really picky now but this Mordin we're talking about). When you first enter into the area, Shepard makes a comment about the place looking familiar. Aria then chimes in and says that it's Mordin's old clinic, and then Shepard simply says, "He's dead now." Aria says that's a pity, and they move on. Wait, what? That's it? He's dead now? How about instead you say, "Mordin unselfishly sacrificed himself for the good of the galaxy." A bit more fitting, right? Come on, Shep!

The bad:

- I'll start with the easiest one; the length/price. In no way, shape, or form, should this have ever even come close to $15. The retail version of the game can easily give you 20-30 hours, so to merit $15 (25% of $60) it should provide you with around 5-8. Not even close; try about 3, maybe 4 hours if you walk through areas extra slow to take in the sights. But then again, there's the other side that says if you build it they will come - EA knows that they can over charge for content, and they know that a lot of people will still buy it.

I don't play any other EA titles really other than their sports games (that's unavoidable) but Mass Effect is my game. I've been with the franchise all the way back to the day that I watched pre-release videos and pre-ordered the first Mass Effect title way before EA was in the mix, all the way through today, post EA greedy palms. Even though my brain said no, my heart sold me on this one, despite the rollercoaster ride that Mass Effect 3 has put me through.

- The music, or lack of music as I should say. One of the high points about the Mass Effect franchise is how no matter where you are or what you're doing, there is almost always awesome music that coincides with the moment perfectly. In this DLC, there really wasn't any at all. In fact, the ENTIRE DLC had that same monotone, low beat techno background tune with the occasional shrieking noise that sounded like Geth having sex (is that even possible?). The only part that actually has a different sound is if you overload the reactor. When you see it powering down the life support of some of the other districts, there's a sad melody that plays that sort of resembles the sad sounding song when the crucible fires. If you reroute the power instead, nothing, just the same old music as par the course. It may be something that's overlooked by many, but to me, it was a huge downer.

- The difficulty. Even on insanity, it wasn't even a challenge! Sure, there were a few Atlas' here and there, but for the most part there was more than enough cover between it and you that you could safely dispose of it. One of the parts even as much as gave you a couple of Hydra missile launchers to work with. Then, in the end when Aria is trapped and you have to free her, you don't even need to bother with any of the enemies really. Just run straight to the power switches, shoot the casing, and the Aria unleashes a flare that wipes out (or pretty close to wipes out) everyone in the general area. Rinse and repeat for the other three, then pick off the last few stragglers once she's free. I don't like when games are impossibly hard and throw BS at you constantly, but I do like a challenge, and I hate it when games are overly easy.

- Fetch quests (sigh). Even though there is an achievement that says you've completed all of the side missions in the DLC, I refuse to call them side missions; they're fetch quests. Pardon me, but BIOWARE WHEN WILL YOU GET THE PICTURE THAT NOBODY ON THE PLANET ENJOYS FETCH QUESTS. Click three terminals, find a mechanical part, find Aria's couch, done. No real point, no substance, just point and click aimlessly. (Though I did think the part with the couch was a decent little Easter Egg and got a chuckle when Aria said, "Is that my couch...?" nevertheless, I still hate fetch quests).

- More stringing you along. In the beginning, Aria mentions somehting about "secrets of Omega that only she knows". I was expecting something along the lines of Omega to be the remains of a failed crucible design from a race in an earlier reaper cycle, or something jaw dropping like that. To keep things short and simple, that's the last we heard about it. No other mention, no secrets, nothing. WTF?

- This DLC doesn't really fit in the grand scope of things. Ok yeah, Aria promised you some extra ships and some eezo for helping her out, but is that really going to turn the tide of the war? I mean every little bit helps (assuming that war assets actually meant something), but is it risk going in alone with just Aria? No Normandy, no crew, just Aria? I mean even Nyreen and the Talons were just happenstance. I don't know, to me it didn't really fit with the theme of the game, and maybe would have been better suited for something post ME3; but because at face value Shepard can die in some scenarios and they have yet to confirm or deny IT, post ME3 DLC can't happen, and nor should it because it feels like you are just dragging out the story for no real purpose.

All in all, I can't recommend this DLC to anyone unless you have cash that you are looking to blow or you are into Gears of War in space. If you can, try and wait until it goes on sale. I know, if you're like me and you're a huge fan of the franchise it's hard to turn the other cheek when new content becomes available, but I honestly feel like this is one of those things that by the time you do finish it, you'll either be glad that you waited for a sale or wished that you had waited for a sale.

Last edited:
well thank you for the detailed review even if you said this sucks I would still get it though. Because ME3 is easily one of my favorite games of the year despite the ending (witch didnt bother me as much as most). That being said I will wait a bit though what I am gonna get right away is The me collection so I can finaly play 1 then I am gonna go all the way through 2 and 3 so I can get my last trophies and plat 2 and maybe even 3

It doesn't suck, it's just not great. It's ok, but $15 is asking a lot. If you're a big fan like me then yeah, you're kinds stuck because you almost have to get it, but it's going to be hard to not get disappointed by the end of it.

How does the Mass Effect series compare with The Elder Scrolls series in terms of size?

If you mean size as in game length, there is no comparison. The Elder Scrolls games could easily take 100+ hours for one playthrough. Realistically you could play through any Mass Effect title in around 20 hours, but if you do all of the side quests you will be looking at 40+ hours.

If size means the game world and exploration again the Elder Scrolls is bigger. Mass Effect's game world spans galaxies, but for the most part you are just "hopping" from place to place where in the Elder Scrolls you have to run there. Mass Effect 1 did have planets that could be explored individually, so that is a little closer in size.

As far as lore, I would say it is a tie. There is a TON of information in both games about the world and the things in it. I'm not sure that any game has better lore than Mass Effect though. From the alien races to the planets to the weapons, there really isn't anything in the game that doesn't have a codex or description for it and it is just damn awesome.

Yeah I just meant the size of the game world. Thinking of starting into the Mass Effect series from the beginning as I am a big fan of the Elder Scrolls. I've heard nothing but praise about Mass Effect so I guess it's worth a look.

Thanks for the info!

No problem! The first game in the series is much more of a RPG than the other two. You can explore every inch of every planet if you want to and you will want to explore them because of the stuff you can find on them. It can get a little tedious though. It is definitely the biggest of the 3. You will easily spend 5+ hours in the first area of the game getting to know your way around. The next two games dial back the RPG side and focus more on action. You can still "explore" planets but it is only at the orbit level where you are scanning for resources.

You are going to love Mass Effect. Enjoy the ride. It will be an excellent one. Easily one of my favorite games of all time.

Last edited:
Mass Effect is easily up there with the all timers as far as epics go, like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc, even though it's a game rather than a movie. When you start up the first game for the first time, you get a short paragraph giving you a quick background of what's going on. Basically, the premise behind Mass Effect is that unlike some such as Star Wars which is set in a galaxy far, far away, Mass Effect is set right here in the Milky Way. In the mid 2100's, humanity has the technology to reach mars, and a team of scientists on the planet discovered a technology cache left behind by an ancient race in which is discovered to have mysteriously vanished 50,000 years ago. They also discover a system of star charts that link throughout the galaxy, with one of the markers right here in our own solar system. Because humanity now knows that alien life did exist at one point, the nations of Earth combine their governments and militaries to form the Human Systems Alliance to protect humanity from anything unwelcoming that may be out there.

In studding the alien technology, humanity is able to jump it's own technology by hundreds of years. Shortly after, they follow the coordinates to a Mass Relay (which before was believed to be a moon orbiting Pluto, but before uncovering the alien technology humanity didn't have the means to get there). Upon reaching the relay, it's concluded that this could be the means of interstellar space channel, and the galaxy map left behind by the ancient race is more or less a map of the relay network spanning across our galaxy.

Even though humans were cautious, curiosity of what lied on the other side of the fence always comes to fruition, and thus, humans used the relay to jump to another star system. Once they jumped out from the other side, they encountered the Turians, but because of language barriers things quickly became hostile and the First Contact War broke out. Humans and Turians fought until the Galactic Council stepped in and stop the fighting (the council is like a United Nations of intergalactic species). A peace was brokered, and humans were fitted with translators so that all of the known languages in the galaxy would be instantly translated to english (or whatever the person's preferred language may be). At this point, humans, who on Earth were always the king of the jungle, soon realized that they were now the newcomers to the galactic scene. Fast forward about 30 years later, and you are ready to begin the opening cinematics of the first Mass Effect game.

As far as lore is concerned, both the Elder Scrolls & Mass Effect have plenty of it. The only difference is that it's more "in your face" in Mass Effect, rather than the passive style of TES. What I mean by that is there is a lot more character interaction, you visit many more exotic worlds and places, and conversations are fully voiced by both your character as well as other NPC's involved. While TES may have books talking about a great war that had happened centuries ago, in Mass Effect, you can actually talk to people who were there (some races, like the Asari for example, have a lifespan of 1,000 years) as well as actually go and see the devastation left behind on the planet for yourself. Though, if you are a big lore person, then you will love the codex. As you proceed through the game and discover new things, codex entries are added to your journal. At any time, you can pause the game, pull up your codex, and read more in-depth about different worlds, species, organizations, technology, anything.

This is a fantastic trilogy, and I highly recommend looking into all of the DLC's out there to expand your experience, even more so because the games themselves are pretty cheap now. Oh, and I know I may be getting a bit ahead of myself, but if you do decide to play the games, make sure you play through the Arrival DLC in Mass Effect 2 AFTER you complete the game. It can be completed mid-game, but makes much more sense from a lore perspective if you do it afterward.

More me3 dlc Citedel and an mp one I can't remember name of I'm still yet to play the Omega dlc

More me3 dlc Citedel and an mp one I can't remember name of I'm still yet to play the Omega dlc

If you're playing for story, don't. It's like Mass Effect meets gears of war minus the blood and guts.

As far as the Citadel DLC goes, the SP portion is a 4GB download. On Xbox Live, DLC can only be 2GB so they've split into two seperate downloads. In other words, it's going to be huge.

My take on it is that it takes place post-ending. Why? Because the in the description it talks about uncovering the truth (which we're still waiting on because there was nothing in the vanilla ending) and that after, we can relax with our squadmates, have drinks, gamble, and continue relationships...oh, and we can purchase/furnish an apartment on the Citadel. In other words, Mass Effect: The Sims.

Now, tell me if I'm wrong, but I just can't see this taking place during the main storyline. If so, it would sound like this:

Anderson: "Shepard! We're getting hammered down here! Is the crucible prepared?"

Shepard: "Yeah we're good to go Admiral, but before we launch the assault to take back Earth and end this war I'm going to send you a picture and I need your feedback...see, I can't decide if I want this couch pressed up against the wall or if I should set it by the window over there.... Also, do you think the leather is too much or should I send it back and order fabric? Oh, hold that thought! Drinks have arrived! Later bud, hold that line!"

Back
Top Bottom