LAN gaming advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What do you Have?

Check out Ragnarok Online as they will advertise your netcafe on their website provided that you offer it.

Not sure what you need to into order to get that.

You might also want to check out some of the other MMOLRPG games as I have seen some of the net cafes offer them.
There is a rather large cafe in the city that offer Ragnarok Online, and i do know of this other cafe offering EverQuest.

Not sure what the deal is with liencing on these are.

HEY THIS IS FOR THE MINOR LANERS (GUYS WHO LAN AT HOME). I USALLY LAN WITH ABOUT 20 GUYS AT ONCE AT A LAN IT DOES GET FUSTRATING WHEN YOU HAVE TO GO AND SET UP PEOPLE'S MACHINES FOR THEM. HERE IS THE SOLUTION TO ALL PROBLEMS.

1:) have 'netbuei' protocol on.
2:) have ip's detected automatically.
3:) turn off all firewalls.
4:) try to have only one workgroup between lanner's.
5:) dont try lanning with ME edition always gives crap at lans.

ps : dont think i dont know what i am talking about i have a ' A grade for higher grade computer sciences'.

e-mail me at deathincarn@webmail.co.za for any queries about anything i want to help.

DEATH INCARNATE

kiri said:
Hey all

I have an internet cafe and am looking to set up LAN gaming plus a weekly (dependant on demand) all night LAN party using my machines. It's too awkward configuring other peoples machines so....

My questions:

I live in a town of about 27,000 with no all night LAN parties. During the holiday seasons the population grows to around 100,000. Do you think I could fill 20 seats on peak and 10 off peak?

What are the most popular LAN games other than the obvious? (Counterstrike). I'm not a gamer so haven't a clue.

Do I only need to install the game on my server and share it on my network like other programs? Sorry. I'm clueless about gaming here.

I did hire a guy a few weeks ago that said he could set it all up for me but it has recently become apparent his diploma is rusting severely. :(

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
kiri

If you are asking for LAN games that gamers will dig, since I am an EXTREMELY BIG PC gamer, I can lend you a list for that category:

-Counter Strike (of course)
-Battlefield 1942
-Battlefield Vietnam
-Call of Duty
-Unreal Tournament 2004
-C&C Generals
-Doom 3 (when it gets here, probably june 15)

Good luck on your LAN center, hope all goes well. ;)

Hopefully this goes better than all the pubs around here. We've had 5 or 6 in the last 2 years, and none of them worked out.

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it.

Games I have so far:

Counterstrike CZ
Unreal Tournament 2004
Battlefield Vietnam

Think I'll get Call of Duty at some point.

I already have 20 pc's networked with room for another 8 - 10 if gamers want to use their own machines. I'm comfortable tweaking IP settings so don't think that will be an issue.

I'm running a Linux server (Red Hat). Have any of you run games from a Linux server? Or should I set up separate servers for each game?

Cheers
kiri

C'mon guys. I need some help here.

There must be someone out there with a clue on how to set up a game server for up to 30 machines, whether that be from the Linux server I have running or slave servers. I need advice on setting those game servers up for LAN parties.

I'm not a gamer so am relatively clueless!

I could call on the services of a friend of a friend that happens to be a recent URT world champ. Dunno his name but a kiwi apparently. Me thinks he would cost WAY too much, although I could use and abuse him marketing wise. lol

I hear he charges humungous amounts of cash to play at a tourney so his services are probably beyond my budget. *sigh*

C'mon people! I need help getting the first LAN parties going in the Central North Island here. There's nothing for a good 200kms. Those hard core gamers are nagging the hell out of me to get it going (not willing to help tho).

Cheers!
kiri

The thing is each game is different and I guess you will want to run the game server as a dedicated Lan server (wich just means only peple on your network can join and none from outside)

Not too many run on linux although i think Unreal 2k4 does and so does Americas Army.

I would suggest downloading Americas Army and playing with that as its free and will cost you noting. It is about a 700mb download however.

Games that are going to be the easiest for you to set up are
I belive all these can run dedicated for all your Lan computers to join.
You will have to buy the game and look through the instructions on how to set up aserver though as each game is slightly different. although the 2 battlefield games are almost identical af far as setup goes.

Unreal 2k4
Battelfield 1942
Battelfield Vietnam
Call of Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom