Interesting situation

danhodge

In Runtime
So, I have a friend who told me she had never played a video game, other than Dragon Fly for her phone. Ever. And she asked me what game I would recommend...

And it got me thinking; if you could recommend just one game to someone (assuming they aren't only interesting in specific things), what would that game be? And more importantly, why?

I think most people would recommend a game they played a long time ago, that kicks in the nostalgia.

I think for someone's first game, I would suggest something open world. Like Just Cause 2, or Oblivion (I haven't played Skyrim yet, so wont recommend it based on other reviews) - because I think that would be a major shock to someone.

Thanks for your opinions,
Danny

So, I have a friend who told me she had never played a video game, other than Dragon Fly for her phone. Ever. And she asked me what game I would recommend...

And it got me thinking; if you could recommend just one game to someone (assuming they aren't only interesting in specific things), what would that game be? And more importantly, why?

I think most people would recommend a game they played a long time ago, that kicks in the nostalgia.

I think for someone's first game, I would suggest something open world. Like Just Cause 2, or Oblivion (I haven't played Skyrim yet, so wont recommend it based on other reviews) - because I think that would be a major shock to someone.

Thanks for your opinions,
Danny

I dont think I would sgest a Skyrim or Oblivion tyoe game for someones first game I think thet would be way to much game for them to start with I would suggest something with a more Linear Story. If I had to pick one from this gen maybe Mass Effect 2 or 3 or Portal maybe

Actually Oblivion is one of the few games my wife has ever enjoyed just watching me play. It might be a little too complex for a first game though. Heavy Rain would be a decent suggestion.

I love how you use Mass Effect as an example of a more linear game. That game feels like it tries to be open world, but it is much more linear than it seems really.

I like the idea of Portal or Heavy Rain actually. Never played Heavy Rain, but isn't it a game which is really emotional (I don't mean single middle aged women cry over it - I mean emotional as in it touches a nerve with people playing)?

The strange thing about this, is that the games I have had the most fun with, aren't the ones I would suggest. Examples are Grand Theft Auto 4, Company of Heroes and Bad Company 2.

My first game was either the first Spyro, or Tekken. And they aren't even close to being the 'Game to suggest'. I feel like it would have to be something that would stay with you for a long time.

Hmm, I notice a lot of RPG's or Open World games are being mentioned.

To me that seems like too much to throw at someones first game.

Also, todays games are designed to stand up to gamers expectations of 'hours of gameplay', so the average one is a good 10+ hours.

I'd say a basic linear platformer would be best for a first timer. Ratchet And Clank titles are fun yet simple and straightforward. Someone also mentioned Spyro... Or even the earlier Zelda's could work.

Mass Effect/Elder Scrolls for a first timer would be like a foreign language for them. The whole idea of upgrading/equipping/acquiring items is second nature to Gamers... to a first timer it would seem like way too much. I'd say the only appeal of those types of games to newbs is just being able to run around and enjoy yourself with no rules.

Last edited:
Yeah now that I think about it you might want to stay away from most things with FPS type controls. My wife just couldn't get comfortable with movement in Portal.

Heavy Rain is kind of a mystery/thriller. It mostly uses basic character movement to inspect things and qte's for action. The new Walking Dead game might also be a suggestion as it plays about the same. I found Jouney a little boring, but I could see that working for you also.

I second the thought of "Walking Dead" by Telltale. Easy to follow, simple gameplay (3/4th point & click) and engaging story with choices.

I would also avoid FPS or RPG style games. My GF likes games and was a big gamer herself way back , but never kept up with the new systems past SNES or early gamecube. She found the bumper, shoulder and trigger buttons a little too much and FPS control movement with the sticks fustrated her to no end.

My GF currently enjoys playing Skylander... oh my god is that like crack to her....

My suggestions besides the above would be: Mario64, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Skylanders, Mario Party games... (the good ones of course, just don't remember which were actually good)

There were other games but I completely forgot. Might update later if I remember

I don't know if you're into the Walking Dead but I think that would be the perfect game. It's more story and less traditional gameplay; it also really draws you in and keeps you immersed.

I agree that an overly complex game would be a lot to deal with for a beginer be we arent talking about 5 yr olds here I am sure they would be able to pick up whats goin on in a rpg or fps I just think its needs a more strigh forward story like a dragon age or something though

I also think like a god of war or dantes inferno would be a good one to start with also

Last edited:
I agree that an overly complex game would be a lot to deal with for a beginer be we arent talking about 5 yr olds here I am sure they would be able to pick up whats goin on in a rpg or fps I just think its needs a more strigh forward story like a dragon age or something though

I also think like a god of war or dantes inferno would be a good one to start with also

You'd be surprised about that. A 5 yr old would be better off playing an RPG than an adult with no past gaming experience. 5 yr old would not care cause they would be having fun and do whatever they want. The adult will simply try to understand everything and realize they don't know what half the things mean without someone there to explain things and simply get frustrated.

My lil one has a lot of fun playing RPG and FPS games, but she doesn't play them as they are intended. Still doesn't stop her from playing them and having fun.

The biggest issue with FPS is the control in general, other wise it would be easy to recommend a linear but decent story FPS. Movement is something that takes time to learn it into muscle memory without thinking about controls. There isn't anything more frustrating than trying to go somewhere but fumbling with controls.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom