"I want to play PFS, but my left arm does not work"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
My sister only partal use of her left hand because of an accident that she had 5 years ago (Don't Ask, Long Story). Over the years, she has gotten use to only having partal movement from the left elbow down.

Now since then, she's got into the computers, and she enjoys playing PCs Games. Currently as she is enjoying games likes ST:G, Black & White, The Myst Series, The Longest Journey, Final Fantanty.

Her BF on the other hand is really big of the FPS. And from time to time, we will LAN aganst each other with games like UT2k4.
My sister would like to get into some the LAN parties that we (Her BF and MySelf) have been going to. However, she would like to come along.

PROBLEM.... we are trying to work out how we can play an FPS with just one and 1/2 hands. Mouse movement is not a problem, it just keyboard tapping that will be the problem.

Is there any mouse that might be on the market that have more than 5 buttons on it???? Like that could be a start.

at first i was thinking maybe have her hold a pencil in her mouth, but than it hit me: get her voice recognition through a headset so she can verbally annouce her commands to the game. i have no idea how this is done, maybe somebody who knows can answer?

with a ventrilo server (and I'm guessing roger wilco too), it will detect any audio input and start transmitting.

www.ventrilo.com

As far as the actual navigation, have you thought of maybe trying a joystick interface?? Most have a good amount of buttons, and the stick could manage lateral movement.

fitzfan said:
i would say use a joy stick with her left hand, would she be able to do that? i doubt( i really dont use them but i saw my friends with a thing that looked like on on it) it but maybe there is a joystick with a another mini joystick thing on the thumb that she could use and do all of it with her right hand,

Well, she as delevoped this uncanny ONE HANDED Technique with the PS2 Controller. And I have seen her kick ass on DOA2 and Midnight Club II with only one hand on the controller.

So I am thinking about getting her a PSX to USB Converter and seeing if that works on UT2K4.

Alternatively, use a JOYSTICK for movement, and mouse for looking. I know she would still be able to use a joystick with her left arm.

I may have seen a device that has a partial number pad and a trackball , i'm not sure though. Also, many joysticks have a hat switch on them that might be good for looking. Nothing compared to a mouse though.

i know this will sound odd but there is a foot based joystick. i use to use it my self due to nerve damage in both wrists. it is really fun to use(i can now use keyboard and mouse well, but i still use it from time to time)

I use a mouse and a joystick, (gamepad actually). The gamepad is mounted to my desk socan use it with one hand. I use the small joystick for directional control, (my feet), and the mouse for aiming/looking.

It a Belkin nostromo n45. I choose it because it allows programming keystrokes to axes, so it works in game that don't support any controllers. (It also can be modified so I have about 15 programable buttons that I can reach without moving my hand)

If you think this might be something that your sister could make use of, I can provide you with more information on how I've set mine up.

She woulnd't have to press any mouse buttons with her left hand, just move it around, so you could assign the jumping and fire buttons etc to the keyboard, while looking up/down and turnling left and right can be assigned to mouse movement. And a footpedal will work great too as said above - might set one up for myself.

Analogue PS2 pads work great on UT. But those games are hard to play without a mouse. Unfotunately, on UT (dunno about U2004) the right hand analogue stick doesn't seem to work. All playstation joypads are great, PC ones seem "clunkiers", and with an adaptor for playstation peripherals you can use the dance mat too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom