I could do with some help building a gaming machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Machine Just Built for friend

I just built a computer for my friend and we spent about $1000 US dollars doing it. Here are the specs

Artec Guardian Case
Asus motherboard
550watt power supply
P4 3.0GHz Prescott 1MB Cache 800FSB
1GB PC3200 Dual Channel DDR
80GB HD 7200rpm 8mb cache (he already had this)
200GB 7200rpm 8mb Cache
DVD/CDRW (he already had this too)
Geforce 6800 128MB AGP video card (this was as much as the processor/motherboard)
using onboard sound
onboard lan
8usb ports

He plans to get a soundblaster audigy soon which will run $50-100 us dollars but most of it was purchased between www.pricewatch.com and www.tigerdirect.com. We did buy the power supply at a local pc shop for like $30.00 the only parts he reused from a old machine was the 80GB hd, and the DVD reader/CD-RW drive. It plays Doom 3 and Unreal Tourtament at the highest resoution great, doom 3 will play on ultra graphics settings but it does sometimes show some frame rate loss. Its said to be a glitch in the game not the video card. This is of course running no overclocking which the system is perfectly capable of on both the processor and video card. Really great system for $1000, another $350 and he could have put his soundblaster audigy, memory card reader, and Dual-layer DVD-RW drive. It Benched at 8800+ on 3DMark04.

I recomend An Amd 2600+-3000+
512 of corsair 3200
Any Nforce 2 ultra mobo (comes w/ Nforce audio)
GeforceFX 5700
80 gig Maxtor hd
450 watt ps

yea i like my soyo a lot! i would recommend it. i bought all but two of my parts from ebay, some ppl are scared of it but if you check their feedback then its pretty tight. i PERSONALLY (that means just ME) have had no bad experiences with ebay. i like to buy from the ebay stores better. i waited and watched and got better deals than newegg for sure and pricewatch too (which has some pretty sketchy stores in the beginning of most lists). i did buy my cpu and two hard drives from pricewatch stores however. i can tell you that i got all this for wayyy under retail and a good deal under newegg or any other, and its all new. (i did buy an expensive sound card which was unecesary but its nice now cause it has the 5.25" bay control thing and optical out so i use fiber optic for my room stereo).

Amd64 3200+
Soyo Dragon Ultra Black Label k8usa
Corsair pc3200 512
Radeon 9800xt
Maxtor 250gb
Maxtor 160gb sata
Audigy 2zs platinum
Dell 2001fp 20" LCD
Pioneer 8x 107d dvd burner
Miacom something dreamer or gamer so-so case
xp pro
hard drive coolers and led fans
(and a huge sh!t-pile mess of cables cause i dont have a big enough tower)
pos psu (i shoulda looked into my case more i will admit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom