how much of a difference does 120Hz have on gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
due to an industrial accident, my eyes were replaced with those of a badger when i was a youngster.

...wow...

On another note, I want to see the sales reps at circuit city and best buy try to sell this television.

"You see at 60hz, you get this this and that, but at 120hz!" -walk over to the larger more expensive display-

"Just see here, the difference in the display, it's increased your refresh rate for a ..a uh..-opens pamphlet-"

lol, this is as bad as the vizio line debut, while you can't 'see' the difference or care, everyone i know is still catching up to LCD t.v's and figuring out the difference between them and plasma. This is going to confuse a lot of people.

120Hz is a marketing ploy.

LCD monitors are limited to 60Hz

What is this all about?

I don't know if that is true about monitors, but HDTV's have been at 120Hz for a while. The Vizio line is cheap AND good, so I'm not sure who dissed it or for what reason.

They are already working on 240Hz televisions and monitors. I do not see how a monitor with a native refresh rate of 120Hz is somehow limited to 60Hz???

The 120Hz just takes the 60Hz signal and shows a repeat or just a black screen in between each refresh depending on the processing.

You have proof of this statement? If that really is true, then 120Hz would receive a very bad rep. I've not heard this though, and only seen good reviews of the 120Hz HDTV tech, and the demoed 240Hz HDTV.

EDIT: I did some looking and found out that they do use something similar to what you said, but it's not just "Take this image and copy it to scam people into thinking they are getting twice the quality". It's about the 24FPS of film and having that fit neatly into a television.

Old sets and most modern sets have a refresh rate of 60hz which does not divide well with 24. By changing the refresh rate to 120 (which is a multiple of 24), it allows the natural film rate to process correctly rather than the stuttering that came with trying to divide 60 or 30 by 24. I don't know the rest of the technology mumbo jumbo, but according to this, I don't care if it is just showing a black screen or copying screens. If it is showing the content more clearly, isn't that what it is meant to do? Plus the new technology doesn't cost hardly any more than the older 60Hz tech, so I don't see it as a marketing ploy. If they were trying to sell 120Hz 1080p HDTV's for $500 more than the same size 60Hz 1080p HDTV, THEN I would see it as all a marketing ploy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom