How to differentiate if my lag is caused by GFX card or Network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it depends on the connection. If you're really far away from the AP then your wireless is really going to suck, and you'll REALLY notice the lag.

But if you're decently close to your router/AP, and you're using at least a G or N connection, then you should get at least a decently playable connection.

Easy way to test:
1. Connect to the wireless network, open up command prompt, and ping the gaming server. Screenshot the window
2. Connect to your wired network, open up command prompt, ping the gaming server again. Compare the ping delay to the screenshot of the wireless delay.

No, it depends on the connection. If you're really far away from the AP then your wireless is really going to suck, and you'll REALLY notice the lag.

But if you're decently close to your router/AP, and you're using at least a G or N connection, then you should get at least a decently playable connection.

Easy way to test:
1. Connect to the wireless network, open up command prompt, and ping the gaming server. Screen-shot the window
2. Connect to your wired network, open up command prompt, ping the gaming server again. Compare the ping delay to the screen-shot of the wireless delay.
Ok, I'll try that. I'm not far (only a few feet away, if so much =\) and I'll try the ping in a short while and see if i notice any difference. Also using a G connection.

Edit: I took a screen-shot and I don't see a difference between the wired and wireless :(.
1st - Wired
2nd - Wireless

2ep1ojb.jpg

Edit 2: Not sure if I'm pinging the correct server :s, if the game and website server would be different. Not sure if that causes an issue.

That's a pretty big lag for just your home network, you should really be getting pings under 1ms. Not the problem here, just thought I'd mention it.

hmmmm...is it just this game/gameserver you have trouble with? What if you try a completely different game on a completely different server?

That's a pretty big lag for just your home network, you should really be getting pings under 1ms. Not the problem here, just thought I'd mention it.

hmmmm...is it just this game/gameserver you have trouble with? What if you try a completely different game on a completely different server?
Well I don't play much games really, and this is the only game I really play v_v. Used to play a MMORPG game called Conquer Online and wireless vs wired connection didn't show much of a difference, I lagged both ways lol. But only Combat Arms so far showed a vast improvement, went from lagging like "seeing a dude move like speedhack" to "everything moving smooth" with only a very minimal lag.

Edit: Also didn't know 1ms was such a huge lag o.0...a mili second :s.

It all adds up :), like I said it's relatively big. It should be more like 300 microseconds, not 3 milliseconds.

I see, well yeah I guess it adds up. Just didn't know time had so much of a part to play...in micro and mili seconds lol. Anyhow have any idea now why my wireless lags so much compared to my wired...no matter the results for the ping test shows the same (which I find weird o.0).

Most laptops can not have their gfx cards upgraded.

Yea, when I first typed that I missed that it was a laptop and I forgot to change it when I realized.

Back to the OP, out of curiosity, are you playing the game with the laptop plugged in or running off the battery? My performance drops significantly with the battery compared to plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom