Has DRM really started to loose the plot

I don't think DRM ever had the plot in the first place.

Look, I get that devs want to minimize piracy. DRM is just a terrible way to do it because it only inconveniences the people who actually buy the games - that is, the very people who are giving the devs money.

This is why I support GOG, as one example, and why I refuse to buy any product like an MP3 which is not DRM-free. Vote with your wallets.

I don't think DRM ever had the plot in the first place.

Look, I get that devs want to minimize piracy. DRM is just a terrible way to do it because it only inconveniences the people who actually buy the games - that is, the very people who are giving the devs money.

This is why I support GOG, as one example, and why I refuse to buy any product like an MP3 which is not DRM-free. Vote with your wallets.
+1

I have a legit copy of all AC games and use the pirated versions because I refuse to install Uplay. So stupid. I'm already forced to use the junk that is Origin for Battlefield.

You're part of both problems. And you contradicted yourself by +1ing Puckett's posts. Cause you didn't vote with your wallet.

If you think its smart to vote with your wallet then why would you buy the game and then proudly support pirating the game because you're against the DRM?

lol

I bought the games because I enjoyed them enough to warrant the purchases. I downloaded the copies to play without Uplay because I don't like it, and because they're compressed to half the size of the original download for storage. I +1d the post because it's the truth regardless of my actions.

Go troll somewhere else.

Actually, yes it is. It's also completely legal to use no CD hacks if you've purchased the game. The only games you can't download even if you have a legal copy are console ROMs.

Try again.

Actually, yes it is. It's also completely legal to use no CD hacks if you've purchased the game. The only games you can't download even if you have a legal copy are console ROMs.

Try again.

You didn't say anything about using 'No CD' hacks. You said, "I have a legit copy of all AC games and use the pirated versions because I refuse to install Uplay."

And I think you're trying to say its legal to use a 'No CD' hack because of this:

§ 117. Limitations on exclusive rights: Computer programs

(a) Making of Additional Copy or Adaptation by Owner of Copy. — Not withstanding the provisions of section 106, it is not an infringement for the owner of a copy of a computer program to make or authorize the making of another copy or adaptation of that computer program provided:

(1) that such a new copy or adaptation is created as an essential step in the utilization of the computer program in conjunction with a machine and that it is used in no other manner, or

(2) that such new copy or adaptation is for archival purposes only and that all archival copies are destroyed in the event that continued possession of the computer program should cease to be rightful

That has nothing to do with what you admitted to on this post.

I'm not trying to troll you. Just don't think its OK to admit to downloading pirated versions of a game to bypass DRM just because you bought it.

If you do that then fine, but we shouldn't advocate that kind of behavior on TF.

I was saying both actually, hence the very first sentence in my previous post, and also talking about no CD hacks because that was the first type of "anti-DRM". Both of which are legal, of which you just proved.

It's not advocating piracy because I paid for the game. I'm not saying "yea I just downloaded Assassin's Creed foo, down with the devs, that ****s whack". I've had conversations about this before and it's been perfectly ok. If it's not, the posts will get deleted. Then again since you're bringing so much attention to it it probably will regardless.
I've been on these forums a very long time, even been banned twice. I know the rules.

1. The TF forum policy seems clear. Even discussing piracy is prohibited although it seems discussing it as an abstract concept (i.e. why do people pirate - IIRC, admins thought it ALMOST crossed the line on a few occasions) does not run afoul of the policy.

2. 117a is pretty clear that the owner must modify the program in question or authorize the modification. Generally, courts don't accept retroactive authorization and most of us don't know people who crack games, and furthermore, most people who crack games probably aren't inundated with requests for the same crack pursuant to 117a.

As I tell my little girl all the time, convictions are not convenient. If you sacrifice something you believe just because you want something really badly, you don't believe it. It isn't a conviction. I wrestle with this from time to time, although as I get older, most of my convictions have turned into habits. I don't buy gas from Shell or BP. I don't watch Roman Polanski movies. There are restaurants where I won't eat because of how they treat employees or customers. There are more, but that gives you an idea. For her part, she's already beginning to understand that ethical consumption may mean sacrificing things she enjoys, like when someone treats people poorly and they're involved with a movie or book or band that you appreciate. When you find that out, you don't give them more money but that's a personal decision, not something that calls for a boycott.

My opposition to DRM is practical - I have MP3s I purchased from Yahoo!, figuring Yahoo! was big enough that I wouldn't have to worry about it ... and then Yahoo! shut down its licensing servers. It was only $10 or so, but still. Now, if I buy an MP3 (which is rare - I prefer to have the physical media like a CD or vinyl in hand), I make sure it's DRM free. And that extends to every product - I'm resistant to digital copies of anything because retrieving a hard copy from my possession typically entails breaking and entering, not remotely deleting something from a tablet or similar device.

Most of my gaming is on the console, and while I'm sure DRM exists there, it's pretty seamless. I don't see it, I'm not inconvenienced by it, etc. On my computer, it's a different story. I will often give devs money for a game I will never play, simply because they released it DRM-free. I have bought games off of GOG.com that I have yet to play and may never get around to, simply because they're new and DRM-free (FTL is fantastic, and I still haven't tried Hotline Miami but keep meaning to get to it someday).

If you believe strongly, as you seem to, that DRM is bad (and I won't disagree with that point at all - I think you and I are of like minds on that issue), then giving money to companies which include the inconveniencing, obtrusive and painful DRM that you hate only sends the message that you'll put up with it which is the opposite of what you believe.

If you also believe, as you seem to, that devs doing good work deserve to paid for it (and again, we seem to be of like minds there as well), then pirating a game you want to play but that you have not paid for is also unacceptable.

If giving a dev money reinforces their use of DRM, and pirating the game is unethical, then the only remaining option is, to borrow from "War Games," not to play.

Convictions are not convenient. If anyone ever told you they were, and I hate to be the one to say this, they lied to you. Convictions mean you sacrifice things that you want because of something you believe, because not sacrificing that thing would compromise your ethical and moral foundations and systems. It would mean that you are ideologically inconsistent, that you say one thing and do another, that you talk the talk but do not walk the walk.

And let's be blunt - you and I have gone around a few times, but while we disagree with each other on certain things, I can't say that I ever thought you were inconsistent with your words and actions. Your words and actions always seemed aligned. Until now.

So, again, I'll simply say convictions aren't convenient.

Man is that a mouthfull, I'd rather it was a boob "Deny Crane".

DRM is a means to control software distribution, the internet undermines that, therefore more restrictions come into play.

I hate ubisoft, ea and other broken company contrived drm, the problem is I hate having my games wrested from me at there choosing, its always going to be slide scale, drm is needed to a degree, but not at the cost of an open operating system.

Back
Top Bottom