Gaming Network Optimization

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftcoasttech

In Runtime
Hi all,

Hey PC Guy is thinking about adding a service to optimize networks for gamers and I'm trying to collect some data in this regard. I have a survey here.

Also, as this is a technical community. I'm going to outline briefly what I have in mind. Please provide any suggestions or feedback.

Turn on mac filtering
Turn off SSID broadcast
configure port forwarding for the appropriate console and any currently installed games
send user instructions on connecting if they have to reset the system (wipe system memory)

Thanks in advance for any feedback

maybe you should post another survey... with more, detailed questions

(not that your posted one isn't good)

Seems legit. For the record, something like this would usually garner an automatic ban and be removed unless you contact the admin(s) beforehand (myself or Mak213).

Why would a survey like that normally be a ban when it is not now? I don't see what is wrong with it.

Usually something like this is usually just a means to draw in clicks. This one is on a third-party site with a good reputation.

I'm confused, this would be a free service? If it was paid, I think it is a pretty bad idea. I can see a lot of less techy people being confused into thinking this is really high level stuff that they can't do on their own, where in reality it's all things they can do in less then 30 minutes and google. The only way this would work as a paid service is to either keep the details from the subscribers, or blatantly lie to them. If it's a free service on the other hand, I think its great.

It got a response ;) But yeah, I get impatient sometimes.

Yes, it's a paid service, no, there's no lying or trickery.

You're stand is valid if you fall into this mindset. Keep in mind that the average tech support customer does not try to do any research (or doesn't know how to do it properly) on their own and prefers to have someone else do it all for them and is willing to pay for it.

That isn't to say that I don't appreciate your input. I need to hear just as much from the kinds of people that aren't interested in it as the kinds of people that are.

Was thinking about your comments SapperX... is there something else you would include in the service to give it more value? Most of what people pay for in these kinds of services is peace of mind and convenience. But if you can suggest other tweaks etc that would be good to include that may not be quite so obvious in your opinion, I would love to hear them.

Oh now you put me on the spot ;) It's much easier to criticize then actually come up with good ideas, let me tell ya.

Anyway, maybe if there was a way you could actually guarantee a specific performance increase, instead of simply "gaming network optimization." Such as (for example) a 10% guaranteed overall performance increase or their money back. Then you wouldn't necessarily have to tell the consumer precisely what you will be doing (as this may trigger the do-it-yourselfers to do some searching), but it will still be 100% legit as long as you deliver what you promise. As you stated, the target audience will be low-tech gamers... so this sort of guarantee may also give them piece of mind to what they can expect in terms of raw bang for buck.

Over all you make a very good point with - "the average tech support customer does not try to do any research (or doesn't know how to do it properly) on their own and prefers to have someone else do it all for them and is willing to pay for it." - So my comments may have jumped the gun on the whole idea a bit prematurely, since I find it very difficult to come up with any substantial improvements.

that sort of garuntee is very difficult to back. I don't mind saying what we are doing. If that prompts people to figure it out themselves, more power to them. One of the things we are striving to do that I think the big boys fail to do is put both the customer and the techs first. I would rather lose a sale, than rip someone off. (I also think that ultimately, this will be good for business as it will create customer loyalty)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom