games and RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

endeavor

Baseband Member
I was wondering if the best amount of RAM for playing games is the maximum amount of RAM you can put in your computer. For example, America's Army recommended system requirements calls for 512 MB RAM. I have 512 MB of RAM, but by using the task manager, I discovered that America's Army took practically the rest of the available RAM.

But if I installed 2.0 GB of RAM into my computer, will America's Army still use up all the available RAM? or will the amount of RAM America's Army uses be maxed out at a certain number (for example, 1.2 GB)?

I think the only thing I need more RAM for is gaming. Because surfing the web and writing documents does not take up all my 512 MB of RAM. What I really want to know is how better would my performance be if I added some more RAM.

I have a Celeron D 2.6ghz, 128MB GeForce FX 5200, and 512 MB of RAM.

Feel free to talk about any game in your response.

just like windows, games will use as much RAM as they possibly can, in order to run smoother

if you had 64 MB of ram, with a game on, the game would run choppy because its the bare minimum for the game...

makes sense?

Games, will use as much RAM as they can, but most games also require certain things to be stored in the swap space, so don't be suprise if you swap space usage doesn't go down when you get more ram.

I upgraded to 1gig RAM from 512 and my swap usage for the most part was the same but I definately noticed a difference in loading times for games, except BF2.

With the current game.

512Mb as a minunium.
1Gb prefered.

1Gb makes a BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!

1gb makes a big diffrence but 2gb makes a crazy big diffrence...with the right video card you can run bf2 on all high settings

What if I have a 128mb geforce fx 5200? I have 512 mb RAM right now, and I'm sure that more RAM will help a lot. But will my performance bottleneck because of my slow graphics card? if so, when?

or get anther card because i think fx5200 is not got overclocker, becuase i used to have one and it caused problem when i overclocked it. so, get 128MB 6600GT instead, it is cheap and also it is a good overclocker, and it is much much better than fx5200.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom