which game console to get? XBox One S OR PS4 Pro?

Santuzzo

Daemon Poster
Hi,

about 6-8 years ago when I built my PC I got Far Cry 2 and played it for hours on end, kinda got addicted to it, to the point where I uninstalled it so I would not spend so much time gaming anymore (it was out of control...LOL)
Have not been gaming much ever since.

I'm kinda starting to feel the itch again, just this time I want to go with a gaming console. I use my PC for writing and recording music and I don't want to mess that PC up with any games.
I also like the idea of having a console in the living room where the bigger TV screen and the sofa is at.

So, I need to decide on either the XBox One S or the PS4 Pro, leaning more towards the latter now as I read it's more powerful and has the better graphics. For now I just want a fun racing game (like Need For Speed), some shooter (like Far Cry or Call Of Duty) and I definitely want Star Wars Battlefield.
I saw an XBox One S 1TG on sale here for 288 Euro, whereas the PS4 Pro sells here for 388 Euro....
But then I keep reading that the PS4 Pro had better gaming graphics....which I may or may not even notice.

What console do you guys use or recommend and why?

Thanks,
Lars

Everything, minus one.

For one, the PS4 Pro actually has the hardware to properly handle the upped resolution. The One S will do 4k and HDR but the Xbox struggles with 1080p content meaning anything they remotely try to do 4k with will be a cap of 30fps which to me shouldn't be a thing. It has a faster processor than the PS4 on top of that second graphics chip which helps in a lot of areas. Smooths out the UI quite a bit, makes having an SSD worth it more so than on the PS4 (or Xbox), helps with video clipping if you're into that, and helps with games that aren't PS4 Pro Enhanced. One such instance, Destiny where I was having a hard time dealing with lag spikes. They said they won't offer a PS4 Pro Enhanced patch but the upped clock speed has helped with loading times (combined with my SSD) and I don't lag in Destiny ever now. Games like Overwatch fully render certain scenes where before they didn't. It records 1080p 60fps instead of 720p 30fps that the PS4 did.

The PS4 Pro is bigger, pushes out more heat but in the end to me it's worth it because it just handles games beautifully compared to the Xbox. Side by side graphically and resolution hands down the PS4 Pro wins. The only thing IMO the Xbox has over the PS4 Pro is the inclusion of a 4k Bluray player.

Thank you! I think I might pull the trigger on that PS4 Pro this week.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the benefit of connecting an external drive to a gamin console?
Currently right now the PS4/PS4 Pro only utilize externals for copying stuff over and from (like saved game videos). They can't be utilized like an internal drive but this is changing with update 4.50 coming. You use it the same way you would on a PC, install content to the drive adding more space to use.

Currently right now the PS4/PS4 Pro only utilize externals for copying stuff over and from (like saved game videos). They can't be utilized like an internal drive but this is changing with update 4.50 coming. You use it the same way you would on a PC, install content to the drive adding more space to use.

Thanks! So, that update you mentioned will be available like a free firmware update to the PS4 Pro? or will this be something on the next PS product release?

Back
Top Bottom