First Person Shooter Arcade, Robots, Buy Powerups WHATS IT CALLED???

Status
Not open for further replies.

vendetta

Beta member
I used to play a first person arcade game shooter. It was 2 player cooperative. I think it was vertical split screen. I'm going to guess early 90s (maybe 89-93).

You had a blinking red light on your back, and you fought little UFO looking things. I'm guessing you were a robot. One player was blue, the other was green. You got money and could buy powerups between levels, like to run faster and such.

I only remember three other things, first: if one player beat the level before the other player, his screen would be like him standing around flipping a coin lazily waiting. I think that the boss (or one of the bosses) was a giant skeleton that shot glowing balls at you. You had to turn 90 degrees at a time (so you could only be facing in 4 possible directions), and you did a lot of strafing while fighting.

anyway, i only ever saw the game in one arcade, and never have seen it since

ONE OTHER GAME:
theres one other game i remember playing. it was an overhead jungle game where you were on foot. I'm pretty sure it was 16 direction movement (you could move very fluidly). You played as a commando. the very distinct part i remember is that on the first level, about 2-3 minutes into the game, you could get in a giant airplane and fly over the jungle. you couldn't steer the plane, but you could control the shooting and get a ton of points and a few powerfups. eventually the airplane crashed, and you resumed on foot. it was sort of like a contra game built on the Smash TV/Total Carnage engine (though it wasn't goofy, it was realistic)

no, contra was a side scrolling platform game. this was an overhead game with no jumping, loosely based off the smash tv/total carnage engine.

metal slug = side scroller
contra did have missions that had you look in that perspective
and I think I've played the game you're talking about. Did you have to get your picture taken by the machine before playing? I remember playing it at PGA (paramounts great america) arcades.

Is the game your playing Descent or Descent II ( They are old school FPS) and they sound like the same type of thing you played

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom