Disc skipping on PS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dclemons2

Baseband Member
This is the strangest thing, the ps2 disc is well cleaned with no scratches or smears or anything of the sort, the game looks basically brand new, but when I get to playing it on my ps2 slim, it skips a lot and load times are excessively long as if the ps2 thinks the game is full of scratches and dirt and other stuff.
what could be causing the problem?! it makes no sense.

This is the strangest thing, the ps2 disc is well cleaned with no scratches or smears or anything of the sort, the game looks basically brand new, but when I get to playing it on my ps2 slim, it skips a lot and load times are excessively long as if the ps2 thinks the game is full of scratches and dirt and other stuff.
what could be causing the problem?! it makes no sense.
Your laser is probably really dirty. That has the same symptoms as a dirty/scratched disc. There are some methods for cleaning it out on the Internet. You'll probably have to take the PS2 apart a little to get to it.

Your laser is probably really dirty. That has the same symptoms as a dirty/scratched disc. There are some methods for cleaning it out on the Internet. You'll probably have to take the PS2 apart a little to get to it.

+2

It's not that hard to do; I remember doing and it didn't take long. Q-tip + isopropyl alcohol will work fine to clean it.

+2

It's not that hard to do; I remember doing and it didn't take long. Q-tip + isopropyl alcohol will work fine to clean it.

I owned 3 PS2s and had to do that with all of them at one point or another. I haven't had the same issue with the 360 or PS4. Not sure if the lasers in the newer machines are more protected or if it was because I used to smoke cigarettes like a fiend while I played on my PS2 and quit before I got the newer systems. I am guessing it is the latter.

Last edited:
I owned 3 PS2s and had to do that with all of them at one point or another. I haven't had the same issue with the 360 or PS4. Not sure if the lasers in the newer machines are more protected or if it was because I used to smoke cigarettes like a fiend while I played on my PS2 and quit before I got the newer systems. I am guess it is the latter.
I had to do it constantly on one that was given to me. It had a laser issue before I adjusted and fixed it. After that was just general maintenance. My whole family chain smoked when I lived with them. Cig smoke makes dust stickier so it's easier for it to get inside something and stick even with air flow.

Do I REALLY have to take apart the ps2? I'm not in the position to do that. without breaking it, and I ain't trying to do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom