CS:S Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zemfik

Solid State Member
I've been playing CS:S for a few weeks now no problem. I have recently been getting on and it has been unusually laggy. I have no idea what the problem is. I can see my grenades going but you'll see it in stages, hard to explain. Everyone that is running you see like every 4 steps but not the movement in between. It's really ****ing me off and I can't figure out what's wrong. I tried uninstallating and reinstalling with no luck. I'm not sure if this is a hardware problem or not... Any ideas? It might also be my router...

i doubt its anything hardware like that and lag usually isnt caused by the program either so reinstalling wont do anything... unless you changed your hardware, graphics options, or any settings recently?
otherwise, maybe recent software installs are connecting to the internet or downloading without you realizing it?
99% of the time that i lag, its cuz i forget to turn my torrenting off, or one of my programs is updating (but is minimized to my system try or something) or a family member who uses my router is DL'ing or streaming something... id check these things first if i were you, before delving into hardware issues... :) - RK

As therascalking said make sure all programs are shutdown to prevent lag! Sometimes im downloading off limewire and I lag when playing battlefield 2. Sometimes if I play at Prime Time EG. Saturday Night.When everyone is using internet I get a bit of lag or a slightly low ping.
so just make sure your not on limewire etc. And make sure no other program is hogging the internet. Make sure your not on msn, xfire etc. :D

Easy way to check the limewire/download/update theory, try playing a different game and check if that lags too. Also, before you launch CS:S check ur resource logs and see how much memory/cpu percentage u got left.
Then launch the game, and check ur specs again.

Try using an autoexec.cfg file. Just copy the config.cfg file in the cfg folder of CSS, rename it "autoexec.cfg" and add your own settings....try the following net code cvars to see if that helps.

cl_cmdrate "101"
cl_interp "0.01"
cl_interpolate "1"
cl_lagcomp_errorcheck "1"
cl_lagcompensation "1"
cl_updaterate "101"
cl_showerror "1"
cl_smooth "1"
cl_smoothtime "0.01"
sv_unlag "1"
cl_resend "6"
cl_pred_optimize "2"
net_maxfragments "1280"
cl_timeout "30"
cl_predictweapons "1"
rate "30000"

There are other cvars for graphics...like different lod levels and specular lighting, etc. Check out these articles for more info (I used to have better links, but lost them when I re-formatted):

Source Autoexec Tweaks - Whisper's Wiki
Configuring The Source Engine: HL2 and CSS - Overclockers Forums
Tweaking Counter-Strike Source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom