Cross Platforming Pros and Cons...

DBrown51

Baseband Member
I just want some input from you guys, I'm sure you've heard the news that they are looking into cross platforming PC, PS4, and Xbox. I personally love the idea and have concerns of people complaining that's it's easier to do things with a keyboard and mouse over a control, concerns of PC users using two monitors ETC. Just wondering what are you guys' pros and cons

IMO the only games PC users may have an edge in will be shooters since kb/m are usually more precise than controllers.

However, consoles have things like aim assist and such... I think it'd be best to separate the 2 types into different MP groups: aim assist enabled, and no aim-assit. GTAV on PC does it this way (and if you're going into one of the other lobbies, it warns you and/or changes the settings for you automatically).

FOV is another edge PC may have since a lot of the time you can increase the FOV to above what consoles use.

Consoles would have an edge in sports/racing games...but you can use a controller easily on PC as well (there's ways to use kb/m on consoles...but depending on the game it can be a bit rough and not work quite right).

I agree 100% with Carnage. There is really little, if any, advantage for pc players most of the time. Rocket League works wonderfully cross-platform.

Frames. Per. Second. Total advantage over anything. I'm sorry, we $HIT all over console players on Rocket League because not only is our image more clear and crisp but our FPS never dips below 150. I own Rocket League on both PS4 and PC and the PC experience is so much better in every way. Somebody explodes on PS4? Enjoy your frame drop and lag. Somebody explodes on PC? It doesn't give a ****. Want to take that smoke away so you have an advantage? Just modify INI. Rocket League works well because it's particularly hard to have an extreme advantage over everybody in just skill. It takes teamwork and a lot of other factors are in place. When you party up all PC and you're good players against PS4 it's a slaughter fest. Idk how many times we've made people rage quit due to score.

The same can be said for shooters. Higher the FPS, lower the ping, the bigger the advantage. Of course if you're a **** player it won't help, but I'm speaking generally if you're a good player it'll give you more of an advantage. This is largely why cross platform gaming hasn't been a thing. There were studies and PC people just **** all over console people. I'm glad they want to reopen the possibility but I doubt it'll go very far past Rocket League.

Other examples of PC advantage. LoD, draw distance, FoV, precision, no aim assist, FPS, resolution, Anti-Aliasing, INI modding, ping*, shadows off, loading time, withhold updates, and last but not least troubleshooting. If you have a problem with a game on console you're ****ed. Wait for an update or pray to your friend's mom's boobs somebody has an answer on Google that works. On PC it's usually something stupid that can be fixed with ease.

*ping: I've never seen ping as low on PS4 as I have on PC. Lowest ping on ethernet has been 28, lowest on PC 4.

Also good points, PP. I was mostly focusing on the control method, but technical aspects of the game have an impact as well.

Frames. Per. Second. Total advantage over anything. I'm sorry, we $HIT all over console players on Rocket League because not only is our image more clear and crisp but our FPS never dips below 150. I own Rocket League on both PS4 and PC and the PC experience is so much better in every way. Somebody explodes on PS4? Enjoy your frame drop and lag. Somebody explodes on PC? It doesn't give a ****. Want to take that smoke away so you have an advantage? Just modify INI. Rocket League works well because it's particularly hard to have an extreme advantage over everybody in just skill. It takes teamwork and a lot of other factors are in place. When you party up all PC and you're good players against PS4 it's a slaughter fest. Idk how many times we've made people rage quit due to score.

The same can be said for shooters. Higher the FPS, lower the ping, the bigger the advantage. Of course if you're a **** player it won't help, but I'm speaking generally if you're a good player it'll give you more of an advantage. This is largely why cross platform gaming hasn't been a thing. There were studies and PC people just **** all over console people. I'm glad they want to reopen the possibility but I doubt it'll go very far past Rocket League.

Other examples of PC advantage. LoD, draw distance, FoV, precision, no aim assist, FPS, resolution, Anti-Aliasing, INI modding, ping*, shadows off, loading time, withhold updates, and last but not least troubleshooting. If you have a problem with a game on console you're ****ed. Wait for an update or pray to your friend's mom's boobs somebody has an answer on Google that works. On PC it's usually something stupid that can be fixed with ease.

*ping: I've never seen ping as low on PS4 as I have on PC. Lowest ping on ethernet has been 28, lowest on PC 4.

I agree with everything PP said. Don't think I can add anything on top.

And for anybody that doesn't know yet, I do own a PS4 (as well as Wii U and XBox One) and I do enjoy playing Destiny with my bros. There are just always time I wish it was on PC instead for the above reasons.

There's no doubt PC provides a huge advantage over console, but developers will be able to control that and should build games with the option of enabling console-to-PC cross-play or just console-to-console, to create an ecosystem that is just more fair for that particular game. Also, I'd imagine that there would be limitations on the types of setting PC players could use in order to cross-play. I may be naïve in those thoughts though.

Limiting certain aspects makes playing on the PC pointless to begin with. We as PC gamers play on PC for those advantages. You take those advantages away what's the reason to even buy it for PC?

Back
Top Bottom