CoD = IDTech 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
So, for anybody on here (I know there was a few, or at least somebody) who didn't believe me. Here you go! They admit they don't "need" a new engine simply because they are out to get money. Translation to that is, quit buying their ridiculously rehashed nonsense and they will make a new game!

tl;dr
All CoD games since 2= IDtech3 which made Quake 3. I don't care what they say, you can only pretty up a turd so much before you need to innovate.

Treyarch says Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 Doesn't Need a New Engine to Advance Graphics - techPowerUp! Forums

So, for anybody on here (I know there was a few, or at least somebody) who didn't believe me. Here you go! They admit they don't "need" a new engine simply because they are out to get money. Translation to that is, quit buying their ridiculously rehashed nonsense and they will make a new game!

tl;dr
All CoD games since 2= IDtech3 which made Quake 3. I don't care what they say, you can only pretty up a turd so much before you need to innovate.

Treyarch says Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 Doesn't Need a New Engine to Advance Graphics - techPowerUp! Forums

hehehe, you think so, why do you think I have not bothered to look at cod 6 when black ops came out ?
No offense to you black ops or cod lovers out there, but that series is just going through motions of retrashing a good game that was once proud to talk about anywhere.

2 weeks ago, I was in gamestop mall store, and the shop owner had announce the title, I had already knew about it before some other people.
There was about 45 men in there and out 5 of them and me, some chuckled and walked away, the manager looked at me and said this.

Where are you going, don't you want to hear about news and special features of this game ?
I told him no very quickly, I have seen other fps titles do better magic shows then this prelease.
The graphics itself can tell you what your getting, he kept on talking and smiled.

For the record call of duty isn't the only game out there for you guys.
About 1000+ guys on youtube will be quick to tell you something similiar to what I'm talking about.

A game doesn't need a new engine for it to be good. CoD2 was a great game, CoD4 used an updated version of CoD2's engine and is arguably the best CoD ever made, heck CoD5 was a WWII version of CoD4 and it wasn't bad. What ruins a game is when it gets a publisher like Activision that couldn't care less about how much fun a game is to play but rather how much money they can make from it. After CoD2 Activision had an alternate developer for each CoD game which was when it was obvious that all they cared about was getting as much money out of the franchise in the quickest way possible. CoD3 was the worst non-spinoff CoD game ever made, CoD2 and CoD4 were two of the best CoD games ever made and where made by Infinity Ward, while CoD3 was made by Treyarch. Infinity Ward used to be the better developer of the two games but once the main part of the team that made CoD2/4 left Infinity Ward it seems that Treyarch has become the better developer.

I don't plan on buying another CoD game, I do like zombies I think that Treyarch did a very good job with it but I can't justify paying $60 to play zombies. I just hope that Respawn Entertainment gets a game out soon so we can have games made by the awesome developers that made CoD4.

The point of this thread was to point out the use of IDTech 3 (common knowledge) was admitted so the naysayers can't argue anymore. I agree, the Quake 3 engine does look good strapped to a game 12 years after the engine was made, but that doesn't mean that people should still be buying their rehashed nonsense. They re-use the same engine, maps, skins, textures, and "change" the story line. CoD was good until 4, then it became crap. Only thing I enjoyed in WaW was the flamethrower which was innovative to an extent. The only reason I plan the SP in the newer ones is so when I'm arguing with somebody over the crap game they can't use "Well you haven't played it!" against me.

Why would they make a new engine for the last call of duty game before the next gen consoles?

WaW FTW btw! Everyone can hate. IDC!

Why would they make a new engine for the last call of duty game before the next gen consoles?

WaW FTW btw! Everyone can hate. IDC!

Considering the current engine is from 1999 I don't think they would have a problem reusing a new engine on the next generation consoles.

Considering the current engine is from 1999 I don't think they would have a problem reusing a new engine on the next generation consoles.
Exactly my thoughts. The Morrowind engine has been spanned across 3 platforms and 2 gens of consoles. Difference being the 2001 engine in Skyrim with mods could make my 580 lag. I can play CoD on the hardware in my 98 box.

Exactly my thoughts. The Morrowind engine has been spanned across 3 platforms and 2 gens of consoles. Difference being the 2001 engine in Skyrim with mods could make my 580 lag. I can play CoD on the hardware in my 98 box.

Yeah, I don't think it's impossible for a well designed engine to last for several years but ID3 is downright primitive by modern standards, a two year old smartphone has no problem running it at 60fps at native res.

Honestly they ought to just license CryEngine 3 or even Unreal 3 from now on, both of those support the current consoles well and deliver modern graphics, especially CryEngine.

My vote is Cryengine 3 since UE3 is getting quite dated even by todays standards. Not to mention, it has that specific look about it and I personally think a "realistic" (visually) looking game could not be pulled off with it. The body's and such are just too large.

True, but it makes more sense to just design it for the next gen, so it will last even longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom