Christmas Time... Time for a TV... but oh.. am I dated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
So the last time I got a 'new TV' .. well let's just say 15 year anny's ain't got nothing on it. My current model is a "KTV" Prison Grade little like.. 14 inch, clear sides so nothing could be smuggled in Lol. Mono Speaker.

I think it's time to upgrade, don't you?

Budget though.. only got around $400 to spend for this for X-mas.
Kinda requires HDMI (Xbox360)
I plan to get a box added to it later though to hook up all my old systems. (Atari, NES, SNES, SEGA, DC, N64, you get the idea, I got 'em all!)

Problem:
All this new fangled marketing gimmick. Can't cut through the garbage bloat to get to the main deal - will my games look good?

Hopefully able to find a nice TV (Yes, for TV use as well as Consoles)
1080P (Can't imagine life without it , since my 21.5' moni has it)

Question comes down to... LED, LCD, Plasma?
Personally I've read up on each....
LED - nice life, decent contrast/brightness but pricey and has the Hz question (later)
LCD - standard on the contrast/brightness, cheaper, Hz Question.
Plasma - only possible issue being Burn In (question to follow)

So... refresh rates (Hz question) I am not going to be able to afford any gi-friggin-normous TV on this budget, so let's be reasonable here, a 27-37, possibly 40, 42 on sale/refurb is what we are looking at .... at 1080P - is 60 enough? 120 more reasonable? 240 seems all "digitally done" aka- marketing gimmick on top of other gimmick... none seems to have a REAL 240 refresh rate but a simulated one.... or should we just go like Plasma with their rated 600 refresh rate? Is burn in really a problem in today's market?

I know a lot of things are actually up to the Brand... X brand may say 120 Hz, but only simulated, while Y brand has true 120 Hz, blah blah, so. Let's find some decent brands so I can find local?

Never heard of a lot but here are the ones I find local/affordable (listed in no particular order)
Westinghouse
Element
Vizio
Samsung
and a few others.

Let's get a few found for specs, and see what we can do, eh fellas?

Be wonderful if I could find a 37inch, 1080P, that I won't notice action/motion problems with in my games (especially Skyrim, Halo Reach and Fallouts) in my budget range, with good Contrast and good Brightness.

I do have 2 large windows in the room it will be placed they have blinds down nearly all the time - blocking I'd say 80% of the light But GLARE could be a problem (and probably will) so lets keep that in mind for daytime viewing. Anti-Glare is almost a must.

Also the budget may be too steep. I understand if we just can't find one - if this is the case and you find the perfect "$600" one or something, still list it, I will just have to wait until next year to afford it.

I have a Samsung 46", LCD, 60Hz, HD 1080p and I luv it. Works great, looks great, I can even plug my tablet into it. I highly recommend Samsung.

I have a Samsung 46", LCD, 60Hz, HD 1080p and I luv it. Works great, looks great, I can even plug my tablet into it. I highly recommend Samsung.

+1 I have a Samsung 32 inch 1080p and can't fault it, I also have a 32inch sony bravia which is very good. Try Amazon there are usually good deals, you may even be able to pick up an internet tv or led in some kind of Christmas sale for a lot cheaper than usual. If i were you I'd get an led if possible, i wish i would have had enough for one, the picture will be a lot brighter as you mentioned above and they don't take up as much room.

alright so the parents went and bought one without my money or my two cents, probably expecting me to pay them what I was going to later... lol...

So... does anyone know any problems with Westinghouse?

40inch. 1080P.

Tryin to get all the details off the box cuz if its Poo- its gonna go back.

looks like model number VR 4030

I'll do some googlin just thought I'd get that info in before more.... and yes, I've heard good things on samsung myself. Kinda wish they went with sammy myself.

Contrast Ratio of 4,000:1
Brightness : not listed
Delay : not listed
Not LED for sure

its got mixed info, one site says 4000/1 ratio for contrast another 6000/1

this one lists brightness as 400 though, and a shocking number though...

Response Time... 7.5ms is that gonna hurt my gaming? that seems like a lot coming from my 2ms Monitor

Contrast ratio is a useless rating, you could pretty much write whatever you want and nobody could dispute you (hence the 5,000,000:1 ratios some models have listed).
Delay of 7.8mS, for a TV that's definitely good enough.
Unfortunately doesn't list the type of LCD panel it is :/

Is it an IPS? Most TVs are, just good to check. Given the semi-high delay time I'd say it probably is. You could tell just by looking at the screen at an angle, if colour accuracy drops really fast then it's not an IPS.

well it says 178 degree angles, lemme get it set up and find out course i gotta rearrange ther oom for it,, lol was expectin a 32 not a 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom