Status
Not open for further replies.

Talbot

Solid State Member
System:

Windows Vista 32-bit
Asus Striker Extreme Mobo
GF 8800GTX 768MB (Drivers: 158.18)
Creative SB XFI Extreme (latest drivers)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.67Ghz
2x1024MB PC8500 RAM

Nothing over clocked, all vanilla settings.

The problem mostly occurs when playing BF2, from here is occurs frequently. I can play for about 2 or 3 maps and BF2 suddenly decides it wants to crash. The thing is, it seems to have a lot of excuses to crash. Vista reports the module faults as MEMORY.DLL, RendDX9.dll, BF2.exe... I can't understand it, it's playing perfectly well and then half way through loading a new map it simply decides to crash. I've moved the Pagefile up and down, tried numerous drivers, reinstalled the drivers, reinstalled the game... still crashes. I use the application controlled settings as well in the Control Panel.

A similar thing occurs when playing Oblivion, only this time I can play for a good 2 or 3 hours before it randomly decides to crash. At first I thought it was overheating (my CPU etc is not at a preferable temperature). But I immediately launched Oblivion after crashing from BF2 and I played flawlessly for a few hours. This is playing at 8xAA,AF and everything else cranked up. The fault module name Vista reports is Oblivion.exe...

In terms of background programs, there doesn't seem to be anything malicious going on. There are a large amount of svchost's (like 14 or 15) but they can't have anything to do with this random, totally uncalled for crashing. I don't even have Messenger running.

My 3DMark 06 score suggests there is nothing wrong.... Vista itself runs fine... I just can't understand it. It's almost as if the computer is out to drive me insane.

I did not just make a nasty scratch in my wallet for this.

Someone help me PLEASE!

I run XP, not Vista. BF2is very picky about what it will run with, but be sure you have installed the 1.41 patch. I had Oblivion a long time ago, but never had an issue with it.

hopefully someone running Vista will chime in. There are reasons why I still run XP...

Run xp it shoudent crash like vista because xp is better then vista
sarcasm.gif
Gee, that was helpful.
sarcasm.gif

Run xp it shoudent crash like vista because xp is better then vista

Not an option.

Urgh, I've tried now running it in compatibility mode with XP and it still gives the MEMORY.DLL error.

I just cannot understand why while running flawlessly in a 64 player server it would decide to crash. Urgh, **** this

Have you tried testing your RAM? Memory errors can cause all kinds of problems.

Try running memtest overnight. If you have more than one stick of RAM, run it with one, and then run it with the other. If it is a memory error, it could be with the sticks or with the RAM sockets.

Have you tried testing your RAM? Memory errors can cause all kinds of problems.

Try running memtest overnight. If you have more than one stick of RAM, run it with one, and then run it with the other. If it is a memory error, it could be with the sticks or with the RAM sockets.

If one stick was faulty, the computer would probably be behaving erratically wouldn't it? The previous computer had a faulty module and it was randomly blue screening, crashing and the like. I don't have a CD or floppy on me at the moment, and dealing with DOS is scary. I found a Windows based program that tests the memory. Did you mean that one?

But I just played C&C Tiberium Wars flawlessly for 2 hours, an exited quite happily. I used the trainer and created as many mammoth tanks as I possibly could, set them off on a rampage and the FPS remained constant at 30, there wasn't a hitch. Then again, TW is Vista optimised.

No one is ever very specific about the problems they have on Vista, all they do is whine but don't state anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom