aliens colonial marines

While chatting with a friend, I figured out what's wrong with Aliens: Colonial Marines.

The VERY short version is that it isn't Borderlands.

The longer version is that it could have been a fantastic game if it was more RPG and less action, and combined the cover-based tactical third-person shooter mechanics of Mass Effect 2/3 and Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2 with the skill tree of Borderlands (or, as an alternate idea, Dead Island, which was basically Borderlands with zombies).

And if it absolutely had to be an FPS to maintain/preserve creepiness and horror, that's fine - there are plenty of games that do that, and we know they can be merged with RPG mechanics.

Related: I REALLY want to see an Aliens RPG. Maybe it's a bit like X-COM. Maybe it's a bit like Mechwarrior. Maybe it's a bit like the Galaxy At War part of ME3. There are a lot of workable ideas to make it happen. It's just a shame this wasn't it.

That may have a little bit to do with it, but I think that the biggest issue people are having is that the game (much like Duke Nikem) was in development FOREVER and much more was expected as a result. You are right, graphics aren't everything and glitches here and there aren't normally a problem. However, when a game has been in development for 5 years those things should be non-existent. Especially when you have proven that you can put out a game with the level of polish that Borderlands has in half the time. It's unacceptable.

That may have a little bit to do with it, but I think that the biggest issue people are having is that the game (much like Duke Nikem) was in development FOREVER and much more was expected as a result. You are right, graphics aren't everything and glitches here and there aren't normally a problem. However, when a game has been in development for 5 years those things should be non-existent. Especially when you have proven that you can put out a game with the level of polish that Borderlands has in half the time. It's unacceptable.

Gearbox also apparently involved other developers in the game; while that isn't necessarily a problem, it does lead to questions about whether they were too focused on BL2 to do the game right.

And hey, if they were, that's fine - just don't do other games if that's how it's going to be.

I dont hate them for it maybe they should just stuick to Borderlands cause like I said when it came out I had super super high expectations for blands we all did and it did not disapoint in any way imo. other tha the level cap stuff and even that dont take away from the fact the game is freaking awesome

More fuel to the fire. I know most of us can't get to the article, but the headline says it all.

Aliens: Colonial Marines Suffers Save Wipe Bug on Xbox 360

"...owners of the Xbox 360 version of the game are randomly losing their saved games. And not just that; campaign progress, player levels, brightness settings and controls schemes are all disappearing."

Campaign Progress... not too worried about. Haven't played much story due to lack of time. I would only be ****ed if I was on the very last level, otherwise I would just start over.

Player levels - This one would be a bigger pain and I would worry about it.
Brightness settings - uhm... set them back to what you had em? /problem
Controls schemes - uhh, set them back? /problem

I wonder if this is like the BL2 save wipe bug. Wasn't that basically the first documented case of malware on the 360?

So wanted to add in my current thoughts of the campaign in Aliens: Colonial Marines.

No, this isn't an attempt to sway your mind since I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who isn't a huge aliens fan... and even then I would tell them to wait till it drops in price.

So I have been playing on Ultimate-Badass with a friend of mine, who is also waiting on me and not going ahead. It helps so everything is a first impression for both of us. We are now about half-way thru the campaign, and we are both liking it. There have been moments were we both scream as face huggers launch at our mouth-holes in attempt to make passionate love, or aliens hiding in the ceiling and grab us for a kill.

We have seen a bug where the ppl we were supposed to go find bugged out and were standing infront of us... but no biggie. Wasn't exactly a game breaker but it definitely broke immersion.

I am honestly enjoying it so far. I don't believe it has much replay value campaign-wise unless your into MP. I doubt I would have been enjoying it as much if I were playing alone and especially on a lower difficulty.

So wanted to add in my current thoughts of the campaign in Aliens: Colonial Marines.

No, this isn't an attempt to sway your mind since I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who isn't a huge aliens fan... and even then I would tell them to wait till it drops in price.

So I have been playing on Ultimate-Badass with a friend of mine, who is also waiting on me and not going ahead. It helps so everything is a first impression for both of us. We are now about half-way thru the campaign, and we are both liking it. There have been moments were we both scream as face huggers launch at our mouth-holes in attempt to make passionate love, or aliens hiding in the ceiling and grab us for a kill.

We have seen a bug where the ppl we were supposed to go find bugged out and were standing infront of us... but no biggie. Wasn't exactly a game breaker but it definitely broke immersion.

I am honestly enjoying it so far. I don't believe it has much replay value campaign-wise unless your into MP. I doubt I would have been enjoying it as much if I were playing alone and especially on a lower difficulty.

Thanks Forsakend, Puckett pretty much echoed your thoughts... he said it was bad... but not horrible bad

Back
Top Bottom