Acer Planning To Join Console Market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
Source

Supposedly, a senior official at Acer (the Taiwan-based company that specializes in PC notebooks) told BetaNews they are thinking about producing a "PC-based game machine." Furthermore, according to Acer's senior vice president, James T. Wong, this game machine would operate off an "open standard" philosophy, in contrast to the "closed" systems (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii).

"If you look at most of the other game machines that are out there right now -- Nintendo's, the Xbox -- they are 'closed' and proprietary systems," said Wong. He went on to say that all Acer-branded systems from here on out - including this game machine - are considering a new style that offers "new and innovative form factors and applications." Now, we don't believe tackling the Big 3 is a good idea, but if Acer takes a new approach to the gaming platform as we know it, they might just have a chance...

Whenever we learn more about this plan to create a new gaming machine, we'll be sure to let you know. Just bear in mind that Acer did not necessarily confirm they are making a video game system; it's just an idea. Sure is an interesting one, though!

Kudos, if they can some how pull this off. It's going to very difficult, since the big three are so well established.

I have a feeling this is gonna turn out like those phantom systems that were out a few years back. I do like the idea though of a some-what open source console.

We'll see, I guess. I think Acer would be getting way ahead of themselves with this move and I don't think it would take off. I have visions of the 3DO and Phillip CDI dancing in my head.

An interesting post and i believe a well established company would not just jump straight on into this so i guess they have some ideas, although i just cannot see anyone some-time soon coming even close to competing with the big 3.

Although i don't mind being proved wrong sometimes...so over to you Acer guys and good luck...

Anyone else see a 'ACER lose $80M' headline looming.........?

well, it's not entirely unbelievable or farfetched in anyway...it would be like turning on a switch...I tries to keeps it simples (yes I ghetto'd that for you guys, lol)

there are arcade units out there based off of a WinX and using specialized pc hardware, tweaked just for arcade gaming.

this may be time well with windows embedded and the viability of nand enhanced harddrives to hardcode the os, making for instant on Windows PC gaming machines. hmmm
Windows XP Embedded - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i think acer needs to sort out thier issues with their computers before they move on to bigger and better things tbh...

lol they are so screwed against Wii, Xbox360 and PS3... they can't handle themselves in the Desktop business, but Laptops are a differnt story though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom