Wireless pen testing?

Get Backtrack distro.

I use to fool around with it, it has all the programs and drivers you need.

The BackTrack dev's released a new distro called Kali. It's built from scratch instead of being based on Ubuntu. It's still debian based though.

Nothing major, since I don't have a huge incentive to lock up my WAP - I'm not the only person to use it. The only real pentesting I've done is capturing the hash and trying to brute force it for a few weeks on the uni computers, to fortunately no avail. I know it's a more than good enough passkey but I figure it's a good idea to keep an eye on how good the tools are. It does contain two words (as well as other stuff) and there are meant to be improvements in dictionary attacks that include two or more stringed words, but it didn't seem to be make a difference.

The main issues with wireless security here in the UK are that two of the big five or so ISPs have their routers come with only partially random passwords - in the case of Virgin Media and Sky Broadband, the passwords are always 8 characters and only contain uppercase alphabetic - no symbols or even numbers. The other issue is WPS, though a good half of routers have been patched against the Reaver vuln.

Back
Top Bottom