Dropbox and Business Network

Akaash

Solid State Member
Hi all,

I really love the idea of being able to have sales reps and consultants be able to send files via dropbox because it makes our lives so much easier. I'm just worried about hacking and security issues. I was wondering if there was any way to only grant access to the network dropbox folder based on specific IP addresses.

Thanks!

Akaash

I would think this would be something you would have to contact DropBox specifically about. Right now the only way to grant access to only certain people is to create a generic account that they all have access to and share information via private folders. Aside from that there is no IP restrictions that can be used with DropBox that I know of at this time.

In ANY corporate environment i would NOT use dropbox as a means of collaborating on anything that needs to have security on it. If they are files and documents that aren't important than go for it. Realize they've been hacked in the past and may be hacked in the future so having those documents out there for all to see is something you have to realize when using dropbox.

But name any cloud service that hasnt or couldnt be hacked. That is the point, there isnt a single one out there that couldnt be hacked or hasnt been already. Case in point this article posted yesterday.

How Apple and Amazon Security Flaws Led to My Epic Hacking | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

You can lose your whole digital life with little to no effort. So really trying to use the claim that just cause it was hacked previously and can be again is nothing. Google, Microsoft, Apple and Linux have all been hacked. Just check out the Black Hat convention. So if that is really gonna be the case, get out of teh digital world now before it is too late. Cause being scared is only going to hurt yourself.

i know a few cloud services that havent ;) but only because me and a team of guys work 24/7 on IDS to make sure of it. And get paid an load of money to do it.

thats not to say it couldnt be hacked if someone was determined, but I'd probably know about any reconn performed on the site and i'd be on the lookout to block anyone giving it a go in about 2 minutes

- but then i hate cloud services anyway, but I can see how attractive they are to joe public

We are talking about Cloud Services that are open to the public and that are highly used by the public. Google Drive, SkyDrive, Box, DropBox, Evernote and such. Yes there are a few lesser known Cloud places out there, Minus is not as well known or used. But it is out there.

It doesnt matter if you have a team of guys working on it or not, the fact remains that if someone wanted it could be done. It may not even be a single individual, but a group that does it. You cant stop thousands of people with your crack team of guys. In that 2 minutes they could take over your world, you know it too. So while I do give you credit, I am also not delusional to think that it cant be done.

It doesnt matter period. If someone or a group of people set their mind to it, they can do anything they want. No one ever thought that some places that Lulsec and Anon took down could ever be touched, but they were. Online things can always be taken down, cause it is based on code that is written and developed by human, who is far from perfect. There is always some way to do it.

to be fair, alot of the places lulsec and anon took down, weren;t because they thought they were untouchable but because they considered their services something people wouldnt want to be taken down.

like the sony network, who would want to break my poor ps3 :(

That's my point Mak - i wouldn't use any PUBLIC service for cloud services. If you are going to share your information over the 'cloud' you need to use a for-pay program that requires a lot of security.

Anything that is free, open to the public and requires little or no security is a HUGE no-no for corporate environment unless you don't care about information being stolen.

Anything that is free, open to the public and requires little or no security is a HUGE no-no for corporate environment unless you don't care about information being stolen.

we encrypt our data before it gets sent out. this is similar to relying on ssl security for making purchases online.

credible file storage companies would do the same.

we're looking into sendfile, sendinc, and yousendit for corporate file transfers. they have outlook plugins. w00t!

edit - hmm web folders using ssl is another option to evaluate

Microsoft Windows XP - Using Web Folders for Secure File Transfer

Back
Top Bottom