Best way to get started?

Nickanthony

Beta member
Hello, I've always been into computers but definitely not nearly as advanced as anyone who's actually worked any kind of IT job. The company I work for just booted our IT manager and he always used me as his go to person when he wasn't around so I just got an odd promotion out of left field. It's not so bad. We actually have a hired professional IT company that we are using so they are doing all the heavy lifting and I'm just managing them.

I've been working with them for about a month now and I'm not very happy about what I'm seeing. They have access to everything while nobody at our company has that same access. They are charging us a ridiculous amount for new hardware but they set it up once it comes in so I'm kind of stuck right now. I'm trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can and have been approved for whatever classes or certifications I want.

I just don't know where to even start. The biggest issue right now is I don't know how to install all of our company software programs onto a new laptop for new hires. I obviously know how to install software but I don't have the logins for everything. Then I got to thinking about making an image with everything on it and installing that way which led me down a rabbit hole. I started looking up how to do that and came across SCCM but I'm not gonna lie. I can't even tell if that's what I should be using. For all I know, we currently have something like that in place. Any ideas on where I should start in a situation like this? This is honestly my dream job and I think I've been given the opportunity of a lifetime with this gig.

Back
Top Bottom