Weird Network Work Acting Odd

Knuckles2002

Solid State Member
Hello All,

Sorry about the header typo!!

I have a network that is acting very odd and can't make heads or tails. Please see diagram image layout below. It will give you a excellent idea of the layout and network structure. The problem I am having is the 100 foot cable that runs to building 2 seems to not have enough power or signal stregth. If I take my laptop in building 2 and connect directly to that cable without the switch I'm able to get on the web. However, when I plug it in to the 5 port switch I can't get on.

Symptoms:

- The one day I was working on the system the network was going out a few times throughout the day. Which I make me wonder if the switch is losing power maybe trying to handle all the traffic on it and trying to handle the 100 ft Cat cable.

- The 5 port switch is brand new and works

- The last two days the 24 port switch has been working okay

- I have not been able to hook up the access point yet!!

What I Tested:

- I tested the cable by creating another 100 ft. 5e cable to see if something was wrong with the cable and that's not the case because it was doing the same thing as the cable in the ground.

- I bypassed the 24 port Switch in building 1 by plugging the external 100 ft. cable to the Comcast modem and then plugged it in to the 5 port switch in building 2 then to my laptop and I was able to get on. However when I try to plug the Linksys Wireless router to the switch and then from linksys to my laptop it doesn't pull an IP address.

- I tested the 5 port switch with my laptop in building 1 connected directly to the 24 port switch with a 7ft cable and it worked fine.

- I called Netgear and they say its a legacy problem that the cable is to long. But I find it hard to believe because the cables only maybe 100 feet. I thought a cat 5e cable can go as far as about 300 feet.

- I tested the Linksys N Router and that works fine. It is also brand new.

Maybe the cable is to long and because of the 24 port switch having so much activity it can't push enough signal to the other building. If so what would you recommend me do to get this to work?

What I am thinking of Doing to Fix it:
What are your thoughts? Has anyone had something like this and what did you do to fix it?

1. Should I install Fiber Optic cable?

2. Should I add a repeater the building 1 in between the 100ft cable and switch?

3. Should I try replacing the 24 port and 5 port switches with something more powerful? If so what models would work for this type of problem?

The Goal:

To be able to run a cable to building 2 and connect a switch and an access point that will have the same SSID and password as Building 1. In addition allow building 2 to be able to access the Server in Building 1.

My head is fried from this I don't know what else to do. If you have any questions please ask. Thank you in advance for your help!!

Thank you,
Frank G.

Attachments

• yan_network.jpg
    yan_network.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Hello,

Is DHCP disabled from the Linksys router and have a Static IP assigned within the range of your network's Subnet?
plug the Linksys Wireless router to the switch and then from linksys to my laptop it doesn't pull an IP address.

Hello,

Is DHCP disabled from the Linksys router and have a Static IP assigned within the range of your network's Subnet?

Yes, DHCP is provided by the Comcast Cable modem.

Questions since we are on it:

Comcast Cable Modem is doing the DHCP the IP info is:

Default Gateway: 10.1.10.1
IP Range: 10.1.10.20 to 199
Mask: 255.255.255.0
DNS: 10.1.10.1

If I wanted to setup my Linksys Router to be able to access the server wirelessly how would I have to set that up? Would I make the Linksys do DHCP as well and have the router IP say 10.1.10.120 and the starting IP 10.1.10.121 and Mask be 255.255.255.0. Is this the correct way of setting up the wireless router? Could you provide me with some help?

Thanks again!!

You may only have one DHCP server enabled with the same subnet in your network. The Comcast modem/router may provide the DHCP, the additional routers DHCP will have to be disabled. It's also a good practice to have your Windows Server 2008 have DHCP and DNS configured (Comcast DHCP will have to be disabled), of course something that you may plan to do in the future. You may follow one of my Tutorials on how to connect additional router(s), it will give you a lot more detail.
Connecting Additional Routers | Tech Support Forum

In addition....for business network (even small business), it's best to have an additional firewall or security device for additional security. I didn't see it in your diagram, just a thought...perhaps something to be considered also in a near future. ;)

Hope this helps for now. An update will be nice.

Last edited:
In addition....for business network (even small business), it's best to have an additional firewall or security device for additional security. I didn't see it in your diagram, just a thought...perhaps something to be considered also in a near future.

So I'm not the only person who noticed this!

BTW, you got the DHCP setup right, 2xg.

Hello 2xg, quick question regarding your tutorial. You say disable all DHCP for every additional router on the network. But when I log in to my linksys Router The first think I have is Automatic DHCP, Static, PPPoE or Bridge. So if I put it on Static and put in my IP info from my comcast cable modem then scroll down to Router IP and assign it a router ip of say 10.1.10.120 right in that area is has Enable or Disable DHCP should I also disable that to or should I allow the router to do dhcp for wireless? Thanks again for the help!! Going to read the document tomorrow!! Thanks again!

First of...if you are going to fiddle with your network or router settings do this during off-peak business hrs or preferably after business hours or weekend, inform the employees as well as a courtesy. Also, backup your router settings if you happen to do a reset to the factory default setting if things get haywired.

Just to let you know, you will NOT modify any settings from your Comcast modem/cable, that will remain untouched only the additional routers will have to be modified.
So if I put it on Static and put in my IP info from my comcast cable modem then scroll down to Router IP and assign it a router ip of say 10.1.10.120 right in that area is has Enable or Disable DHCP should I also disable that to or should I allow the router to do dhcp for wireless?
This is the only tutorial that I have with screen captures that closed to what you are trying to accomplish, the only difference here is, there's a Firewall device in the tutorial but there are similarities but it will give some ideas. Again....you will not touch any configurations from the Comcast device.

2xg Thanks again for the help. I will take a look at your tutorial see if I can make heads/tails out of it. I wont touch comcast it's going to stay the same just need to modify the linksys router to get them on the network. As for a firewall what would you suggest for this type of setup. Small office maybe 10 or so employees. Any suggestions? Thanks again!

You can't go wrong with Sonicwall, the TZ 105 series might do, VPN is included and other great features. I've been dealing with Sonicwall appliance for a while now. If you decide to get a Sonicwall, keep the second Tutorial handy on how to add additional APs, it's pretty straght forward.

I have setup a Sonicwall with a similar business size as yours a couple of years ago and all went well. Ours at work we have the TZ 210 series.

You're Welcome and please keep us posted.

Last edited:
Thanks again! For sure, I need to first figure out this wire building 2 issue. Just doesn't make any sense. I might try swapping out the 24 port switch for something better and stronger. I also might trying swapping out the 5 port switch to. If that doesn't work then I might have to look at a repeater or fiber. I'll keep you posted as I move forward and thanks again so much for your time and efforts!!

Back
Top Bottom