Virtualized Server on a desktop computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
it can be done on a desktop grade system. all it would technically need to happen is it would need to support virtualization tech (processor ext.) have enough RAM, etc to run the host OS+ vms well. (this is why bare metal hypervisors are preferred for this) and can match the specs of the server. However, like you said it would be slow, but it is doable. I've done it with both esxi and hyper-v. it was a tad slow but it worked.

Of course, I don't recommend using this in production. I can understand using this as a test server to see what virtualization tech can do and to get familiar with it.

In production I recommend getting a nice dell or supermicro server and using xeon or opteron processors!!!!!

However some hosting companies that are low grade tend to purchase a desktop server and try this and end up being crap. I would avoid doing business with companies that use this. Some are trying to even run it on intel atom processors on a 300 dollar dell desktop and run 8 vms on it! They were not using vmware though (using xen-pv). There are quite a few that do this and it sucks. intel atoms should not be allowed in the datacenter..... LOL.

I was just doing it to see how I would fair off with it and get experience. I def know 100% that it would run super slow, just wanted to see if I could do it to tinker around. I have an old dell e510 from my friend I think I will use as a home server and run with it from there. I am what u call server/virtulization curious right now and want to see what I can do so when I get that dell server I know wha i am doing. Appreciate all the input from you guys and now I know what and what I can not do as far as virtualization and speed factors that virtualization may have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom