Virtualized Server on a desktop computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2adre

In Runtime
I am trying to run server 2008 on my current desktop as its own individual system, own ip address etc. I got the system up and running and it is recognized on my network as a separate computer, but it wont let me make my domain on all the computers in my house. Is it something im doing wrong. I create the domain on the server 2008, then apply the domain to the computer and it says it cant find it. Please help!

Okay so let me get this right. You have windows, be it XP/Vista/7 and created a VM that is running Server 08 and you want to run it like a real server but from the VM?!?

I dont think that is possible. Maybe if you installed Server 08 and ran a VM of Windows within the Server OS it might work. But I have never heard of it working this way in 20+ years of using PC's.

KSoD that would be mostly possible with vmware server or esx/esxi or vsphere.or vcenter all of those would allow you to do so.

those work much like virtual private servers in the hosting industry. this is what he is going after.

however, he is trying to run that with a host OS overhead, if I'm thinking what I'm thinking.

you don't want to run like that if you are going to be pushing that vm for hosting.

you would want to run a bare metal hypervisor like esxi or vsphere so you have no host os overhead. your vm will run much faster.

I have vspere and got an extra computer from my one friend, trying it both ways. with the OS overhead and individually. I dont know, im a difficult, stubborn, computer user. Too many thoughts and ideas, lol, jk. Trying tonite because Im off tomorrow. Again remixedcat, im def using your suggestion. Oh and server 2008 and whs 2011, which one would give me more knowledge with servers os's but user friendly

server 2008 all the way whs is configured for home media server use and windows server 2008 is more for web servers, enterprise servers, and more.

KSoD that would be mostly possible with vmware server or esx/esxi or vsphere.or vcenter all of those would allow you to do so.

those work much like virtual private servers in the hosting industry. this is what he is going after.

however, he is trying to run that with a host OS overhead, if I'm thinking what I'm thinking.

you don't want to run like that if you are going to be pushing that vm for hosting.

you would want to run a bare metal hypervisor like esxi or vsphere so you have no host os overhead. your vm will run much faster.

No your thinking exactly what I am thinking, you just said it a different way. I said he wanted to run the Server via VM from Windows, while you said he wanted to run it from the host overhead. Same thing, different terms.

The reason I said I have never heard of it done before, cause it makes no sense to do it that way. Why would you run a VM of a Server from a host and then try to use the Server? You are wasting resources beyond belief and it would be much better to run the Server and then do a VM of a OS to use from within the Server. No one in my 20 years of using PC's has anyone ever tried to do it backwards. It just doesnt make sense to. Hence why I made my comments the way I did.

no, there is something called virtual private servers. Lots of hosts use those. This is what he kinda wanted to do.

many people think you have to have a full host OS to do it, when you don't have to. You can use a bare metal hypervisor such as esx/esxi from vmware or using other products like xen or open vz.

hosting companies have been doing this for more then a decade.

this is also used in cloud computing to allow the vm to scale up or down dynamically and also to provide fault tolerance and load balancing. it's very cool and used not just to run windows apps on linux or linux apps on osx. This has uses beyond what most can realize.

technologies like vmware esxi, vcloud, vsphere, etc tie it all together with your servers, load balancers, and storage area networks.

I love this tech and I would love to see even more advancements in cloud computing and virtualization!

there are also several types of virtualization as well please refer to this wiki for info.

some of those are designed to reduce overhead and also emulate full hardware or emulate a core set of hardware.

datacenters use hardware virtualization and they use bare metal hypervisors like esxi,xen,kvm,etc....

There is a big difference between doing a VPS on a Server and doing it on a desktop PC. A server is built for these types of things. A Desktop PC is not. Hosting companies use Servers, not desktop PC's to do this. I have yet to see a home PC that can run a host OS and a VM Server fluently let alone be able to do what a Server can do with handling all requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom