SQL server 2008 need help ASAP

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
We have a vendor that wants us to get SQL Server 2008 standard R2 for them to put on a server. My question is there are several different flavors of SQL Server 2008 Standard. There's Open, open value, retail, charity, Open 2.0, business academic, business corporate. I don't want to run into a license problem or have one that doesn't do what they want. I have asked them repeatedly which version and they say 2008 standard R2. Does it matter which? Prices range from $325-$7000.

Did you tell them specifically that there are that many versions of "SQL Server 2008 Standard R2" and that they have to decide which version is right for them? Unless you know exactly what this vendor is doing with the software at all times there is no way for you to know if there will be a license issue. They have to make such a determination. If they dont want to, tell them that the cost will be $7,000 until they decide. After all it is a business corporate environment that they are working in, so they should get that version...

typically software vendors wont recommend which type of license to go with. if they did, they dont have a clear understanding of how the company buys its software. its been my experience that the reseller chooses for you and they usually choose open value for us. i would look into business corporate next.

i would contact my reseller, tell them what i need, and ask about different types of licenses. CDW works well for the company I work for.

Back
Top Bottom