SQL & RAID

iParanormalx

The strange one
Theres a bit of a debate happening in the department about how RAID should be configured on a ~2000$ storage budget for a Win 2012 server with SQL. Here are the present options - which do you think is best?

raid_options.png

Last edited:
I'm assuming this is DAS? If not are you putting together a JBOD for this with RAID configured?

SQL is tricky b/c best practice is to have the OS volume and data volume (data being where SQL lives) on separate volumes. With that said I would go with a RAID 10 for the data volume and do a RAID 1 setup on the guest OS volume.

I'm sure it depends on what SQL circles you hang in, but our SQL group has always contested OS should be one volume, logs should be one volume and SQL databases should be one volume. Ideally all should be on their own separate raided volumes (SQL on RAID 10 and OS on raid 1). Enterprise storage array's really don't allow for complete segmentation but you should still keep the volumes separate.

Looking at your chart, it would be the top right option, choosing raid 1 for the OS volumes.

DAS right? If so depending on the equipment you can raid out multiple volumes if you have enough disks.

I'm assuming this is DAS? If not are you putting together a JBOD for this with RAID configured?

SQL is tricky b/c best practice is to have the OS volume and data volume (data being where SQL lives) on separate volumes. With that said I would go with a RAID 10 for the data volume and do a RAID 1 setup on the guest OS volume.

I'm sure it depends on what SQL circles you hang in, but our SQL group has always contested OS should be one volume, logs should be one volume and SQL databases should be one volume. Ideally all should be on their own separate raided volumes (SQL on RAID 10 and OS on raid 1). Enterprise storage array's really don't allow for complete segmentation but you should still keep the volumes separate.

Looking at your chart, it would be the top right option, choosing raid 1 for the OS volumes.

DAS right? If so depending on the equipment you can raid out multiple volumes if you have enough disks.

Thanks for the response. We're using SAS on an HP smartarray. And I agree, top right option is the best option.

Top right would definitely be your best option for SQL ensuring the best possible data protection with performance in mind.

You'll notice, if you didn't, that there's actually a difference in disks RPM and throughput. I believe it to be better to get more slower disks rather than fewer faster ones. What do you think?

Oh i didn't see that - i just saw they said 10k.

What are your choices in terms of amounts? Obviously all fast drives would be ideal but there is definitely a cost associated with that.

Well the faster 4-disk setups are the same cost as the slower 8-disk setups. I think its better to get a 8 slower-disk setup like the top right, rather than 4 faster-disk setup like the lower right.

Yes if you have to choose one or the other I would choose the 8 disk setup even if that means that the disks are a bit slower.

What are your choices? 10k for the 8 disk and SSD for the 4 disk?

Yes if you have to choose one or the other I would choose the 8 disk setup even if that means that the disks are a bit slower.

What are your choices? 10k for the 8 disk and SSD for the 4 disk?

No its 10k RPM and 6GB Transfer Rate for 8 disks
or 15k RPM and 12GB Transfer Rate for 4 disks

Those two options are roughly the same cost.

Back
Top Bottom