Setting up a file server on server 2008 through vmware HELP!

y2adre

In Runtime
I am in the process of putting all my file and program backups on a virtualized server for the 6 computers in my house to grab anytime. 1 I have set it up a a bridged connection. My second question is do I need to setup anything within the server group on the computers and the server to have it's own private network and only they can access those files. Plz help, im a newb at this

you know instead of setting up a server and stuff, you can just share the hard drive with the files you want to share over the network.

yeah, I know how the share folders work. I just wanted some experience with virtualized servers and domain setup through windows server 08.

I am in the process of putting all my file and program backups on a virtualized server for the 6 computers in my house to grab anytime. 1 I have set it up a a bridged connection. My second question is do I need to setup anything within the server group on the computers and the server to have it's own private network and only they can access those files. Plz help, im a newb at this

You can just use bridge networking and set up within Windows Server the File and Print role. This is where you'll specify permissions for each share you put out (Share and Storage Management)

You don't really need to set up private networks as normally those are for 2 servers communicating information back and forth such as heartbeats for clusters, management ports, etc.

Back
Top Bottom