Service Oriented Architecture

bntzyd

Beta member
Dear All

I'm not sure if my qeustions is in the right place or not, but I would like to ask and know more about Service Oriented Architecture (SOA).

From my reading regarding SOA, one of it is features is providing (a loose coupling) which means that the service provider can modify the service independtly from the service consumer.

Does that mean the service consumer with have a copy of the service located in his/her machine for example??

and why there is a problem in testing applications implemented by SOA?

Also, where can a find the registry where the services description is stored?

too many Qs I hope I find someone who can answer me!!

Thank you.

If you're talking about something like SaaS (Software as a Service), then usually the service consumer will be accessing the service over the web in some way. Whether that's a web service API (think of something like the API for Google Maps), or through a web portal to log in through (Gmail, or even Amazon's Web Services on a larger scale).

No, the consumer doesn't have a copy of the service on their machine - that would negate the point of having SaaS / SoA.

What kind of problems do you mean? The only problems testing would be making sure the service is usable and load balanced (in the case of web services). Generally when you make a service-oriented system, you test each individual piece separately, and then do integration testing as a whole, which is IMO easier because you know which piece is broken early on, as they can all work independently for the most part.

Not sure what you mean by 'find the registry where the service description is stored.'

Are you referencing a particular product?

This sounds like a college/school project question to me. So I will leave you to Google further to get the answers, as I don't think I should be supplying the answers to you.

Unless you can provide more details, I will be sticking to my assumption, that you are trying to get us to answer the questions for you.

This sounds like a college/school project question to me. So I will leave you to Google further to get the answers, as I don't think I should be supplying the answers to you.

Unless you can provide more details, I will be sticking to my assumption, that you are trying to get us to answer the questions for you.

If it is a school question you will see me writting it into more proper and clear way!!!

I aready read many research paper and I was curious about the loose coupling features?? How the service provider can modifiy the service without effecting the service consumer?? And vise versa !! Since the service is only one single code?

And also I was curious where can I find those services ??

If it is a school question you will see me writting it into more proper and clear way!!!

I aready read many research paper and I was curious about the loose coupling features?? How the service provider can modifiy the service without effecting the service consumer?? And vise versa !! Since the service is only one single code?
Because that's how they're designed - you can replace smaller pieces with non-breaking changes. The consumer only seems the service as 'one single code', which is the endpoint, but it's composed of several modular pieces in the back end.

For example, look at any well-written RESTful web API. As the consumer you don't know (or care about) what's going on in the background - it's a black box. You just know you can send/receive data from the API. Now, what if they switch which database they're pointing towards to store their data in the back end? As the consumer, you have no idea this happened, but it's a change in the back end that's possible with modular software. The only time a breaking (one that may affect the consumer) change will happen is when they change how the consumer functions operate / work, or rename/remove consumer functions. But with API's, usually they don't remove them...they just deprecate them and/or roll out a new version of the API as to not adversely affect applications running the older functions.

And also I was curious where can I find those services ??

Literally everywhere...like I said, Google Maps API, Amazon Web Services, Azure Cloud hosting, etc are a few examples. Basically any web service / API.

Back
Top Bottom