Server Under Bed?

AutomationRocks

Solid State Member
I purchased an old Dell Poweredge R900 4u server for at-home use (in an apartment), and I had originally planned to put the server under a spare queen sized bed in our spare bedroom. I was going to get 6" risers for the bed to allow for this. I thought about using some sort of metal bracket system to get the server ~2 inches off the carpet. Maybe even just typical rails? Does anyone see this as a big FIRE HAZARD? I am being challenged that this is a fire hazard, however I strongly feel that this could be accomplished safely if done right.

Thoughts?

Personally I would say go for it. Just make sure your typical wiring in the house is half decent and you'll be fine. I ran several servers under my bed for more than a year with no issues.

Just be sure to monitor the temperature, make sure it won't overheat under the bed, and clean out the dust that will accumulate regularly, and you should have no problem.

Hi,

You can install Webmin with server monitoring to check the temperatures of your server. If there is an issue, it can send you an email/SMS warning you that something's up. Just make sure you clean it like IntelFanboy416 said!

Back
Top Bottom