Router Connection Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

DILBAC

Beta member
Hi Guys,

Loking for urgent feedback on a problem I have with accessing internet and assigning IP's etc..

Situation:
We are currently setting up an office and have access to a LAN Network to access the internet. Initially we had asked the line providers to assign settings to give us a static I.P to which they responded that we would have to enter a certain I.P, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS addresses into the LAN TCP/IP properties window.

Ok, after this was done, we were ready to surf the internet however... we soon realised we required a router to be able to connect more computers through this one ethernet floor port.

One the router was connected we had a very hard time trying to configure the settings for the router so that the computer could access the internet.

Query:

Is a router connection to an ethernet port where we have been given a static I.P possible? do we need to get the Line Providers to enable DHCP? Or disable? The router has a default I.P address but since we have been given a static I.P address the router will not connect?

Further details that may help poster of this site to answer the query:

Connection type: Fast Ethernet
Router: Sitecome 300n
Office Network line: Cisco

Aim of the setup:

the set up of the system we are looking for is to have the router assign static I.P's to all of the computers hooked to it, and to be able to forward incoming requests from the internet to a specific computer with a static I.P address.

I am not too clued up about networks and internet connections but I have been reading and reading to get to this point.

All help on this matter is very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Regards,

Perry

A router will not broadcast IP assignments from a DCHP server by default. So if you are using a static IP scheme and those IP's are being automatically assigned from a DCHP server then yes - the router will cause issues. Most routers allow you to disable this 'feature' which will then allow the broadcast to go through the router.

Another option would be to put a switch on that port. Unless i'm misunderstanding your setup, you have one ethernet port that you need to allow multiple computers to access. A switch is the best piece of equipment to put in here. Unless i'm misunderstanding you and this ethernet port is the one that is actually provided by your ISP.

Maybe i'm missing something - if so please let me know what i'm missing or may have overlooked.

I think I agree with Lex here, the explanation is a little confusing.

Is your office connecting to a pre-existing network? is it the External or Internal IP's you are trying to make static?

"Ok, after this was done, we were ready to surf the internet however... we soon realised we required a router to be able to connect more computers through this one ethernet floor port."

"Through this one ethernet floor port" Makes me assume that you are connecting to a pre-existing network, Chuck the router and buy a switch, they are not expensive, then follow the save steps you took to configure the 1st PC through the TCP/IP settings... Only the IP address should be unique to each computer / device, everything else should be the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom