Rehash on a Virtual Server 2008 For Practice

y2adre

In Runtime
Hello All,

I am in the process of doing a VM server 2008 to get practice on active directory, permissions, domain setup, and a file server. I just want to know, how easy is it to set it up?

I am about to take my A+ Cert in Jan and knock that out. I want to work as a network admin and am teaching myself everything about server 2008. I want to teach myself so much about VM's and Server OS to follow a career down that route. Anyone in the field of VM's or Server Admin/ Network Admin they can give me any good advice? I sincerely appreciate it!!!!

Server 2008 R2 is a VERY broad topic. I would suggest breaking it down into sections like Microsoft does with their certifications. It's good to mess around with the server to become familiar with the mmc, server management, etc - but I believe it would be even more important to nail down the Microsoft certifications.

I'm a network admin responsible for vmware, storage and server support / provisioning. My suggestion would be to gain as much experience as possible. Are you currently employed in the IT field? That should be goal #1. Unless you are getting a bachelors degree, most companies will not hire you straight into an admin position.

Get your A+ first. Then maybe Net+ a few months later. Once you ahve those I personally would work on your MCSE for server 2008 or 2012 depending on what material you have.

ok, I have been taking my time. I guess it's the anticipation of learning all this stuff. I love technology and do it on all my offtime from my wife and kids and my job. I am currently in bankand have been for 5 yrs. I have been studying really this year but have been doing freehand stuff for 12 yrs and have learned the ins and outs of desktops and laptops. Im def ready to evolve into something professional. I have two offers for help desk positions but i think I better get my assoc in Information technology with a concentration in networking to see if I can get really considered

Help desk is a start - that's where i started. I would suggest getting your foot in the door if someone offers you a job. I would still suggest getting the degree from an accredited university, but working and experience are the best resume builders.

Back
Top Bottom