Poor network performance between Virtual Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Runtime
I do IT support for a medium sized business, though I am relatively new to server virtualization technology. We make use of several virtual machines on several different virtual servers running ESXi.

One virtual server in particular is acting oddly. One of the virtual machines on the server runs an oracle database and a second is used as terminal server running an application that reads the database. Pings between the two virtual machines are often getting 3 to 4ms average, once even sitting at approximately 60ms average; even though they are on the same hardware.

Pings from two different physical servers running over the network came back at the expected <1ms speed. Is there any reason to see bad ping responses between 2 virtual machines on the same virtual server?

Try a packet capture to see what's going on... If you're VMs are set to use NAT try to switch to bridging. Make sure you have the latest network drivers installed on both machines.

Only reason I think you could have a bad ping between two virtual servers on the same machine is that the machine is a bit bogged down and can't run them both as fast as you would like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom