Online Databases

mrose

Beta member
Could anyone help me out with making or at least a little instruction on how to make an online database? I am attempting to make a fairly simple application where you need to log in to an account. I need somewhere to store that information so hence my need for a database. I would need somewhere to start. Thank you.

Well you need to decide on what platform you want to use.

MySQL
SQL Server
Oracle

MySQL would be easiest if you're using something like a web interface with PHP. SQL Server will work best if you're using anything with .NET as your front-end, whether it's a web app or if it's a standalone program. I haven't done much with Oracle, so I can't really recommend that based on any of my experience.

You'll want to install it on a server that's running all the time - then you'll just need to open up the appropriate ports on your network if you're expecting it to be used over the internet.

MySQL would be a good option. Easy to set up and connect to. I used a free online host called 000webhost while in my final year of college. Might be good start as it lets you set up a MySQL database pretty easily and host files along with it.

Back
Top Bottom