Help with server basics

I think you may be in to deep by the sounds of things. You need to have a basic understanding of operating systems, the hardware it runs on, networking before you even begin to work with servers.
I'd suggest you start with something like Cisco Hardware/Software fundamentals: Learn about the mother boards, building PCs, form factor, Networking especially, installing operating systems and learn their prerequisites. It wont be a 6 month journey either, your looking at years of real experience to be able to user servers properly. I love when people are enthusiastic about this stuff but make sure you understand the mammoth amount of information your going to need. Active Directory alone is something you could take you 3 months to learn if you learned it for 8 ours a day.

If you do want to use virtual servers, (and you will need them to test/learn/experiment) then there are hardware requirements for this and your 2003 server probably wont support hyper-threading.

If your up for that go for it, it's a great thing to learn but if it's a nutty idea you had and thought "I'll do that this weekend" don't waste your time.

I mean this in a sincere way i'm not trying to shoot you down.

I think you may be in to deep by the sounds of things. You need to have a basic understanding of operating systems, the hardware it runs on, networking before you even begin to work with servers.
I'd suggest you start with something like Cisco Hardware/Software fundamentals: Learn about the mother boards, building PCs, form factor, Networking especially, installing operating systems and learn their prerequisites. It wont be a 6 month journey either, your looking at years of real experience to be able to user servers properly. I love when people are enthusiastic about this stuff but make sure you understand the mammoth amount of information your going to need. Active Directory alone is something you could take you 3 months to learn if you learned it for 8 ours a day.

If you do want to use virtual servers, (and you will need them to test/learn/experiment) then there are hardware requirements for this and your 2003 server probably wont support hyper-threading.

If your up for that go for it, it's a great thing to learn but if it's a nutty idea you had and thought "I'll do that this weekend" don't waste your time.

I mean this in a sincere way i'm not trying to shoot you down.

The guy has a free server! and wants to learn hands on - he doesn't need to read books first or take a course, I think that the hands on is the best way!! it wont hurt him/anyone. I learn the same way by getting stuck in, making mistakes, learning from them, and so on..

of course reading helps but you read as you go and when you get stuck.. or when you want to learn new things to try out something.

Last edited:
The guy has a free server! and wants to learn hands on - he doesn't need to read books first or take a course, I think that the hands on is the best way!! it wont hurt him/anyone. I learn the same way by getting stuck in, making mistakes, learning from them, and so on..

of course reading helps but you read as you go and when you get stuck.. or when you want to learn new things to try out something.

I completely agree - My guidance is based on my own mistakes and I could have learned quicker and better if I had not picked up bad habits and gone round in circles. A basic foundation of the required skills is fundamental to learning servers.

Like I said not shooting down, just trying to give advice from my own mistakes.

VERY TRUE! If you are new to these concepts you WILL and always WILL make an error and WILL get stuck and WILL need to figure it out, and guess what? You WILL HAHA!

Back
Top Bottom