Exchange distribution group / AD account

1etherer

Fully Optimized
Ok, so we have IT@company.com as a distribution group for our internal IT email and we have deleted it and made an user in AD called IT@company.com now in outlook were the distribution email was cached on all the machines you get a bounce back of course.. but does anyone know a way we can alter/config exchange/ AD etc so that peoples machine can know where to look again and send to that email again without removing the cache from each outlook account.

Any advice will be appreciated:cool:

Those entries are cached in the NK2 file (different for outlook 2010 but same concept) on the local machines. How to reset the nickname and the automatic completion caches in Outlook, 3 Ways to Clear the Outlook Autocomplete Cache - wikiHow

I'm going to make the assumption that both of your addresses are actually different considering you are getting a bounce back. You have two choices as i see it:
1. Update the Nk2 file on all machines and remove that from the shortcut list, you can do that manually. There are programs out there that will do this on a mass scale if your user base is too large to do manually
2. Create a pointer in AD which actually uses the same shortcut, so that when users still use their shortcut it's actually pointing to the new email address. I'm assuming you made an exchange object, not an actual user in AD.

Those entries are cached in the NK2 file (different for outlook 2010 but same concept) on the local machines. How to reset the nickname and the automatic completion caches in Outlook, 3 Ways to Clear the Outlook Autocomplete Cache - wikiHow

I'm going to make the assumption that both of your addresses are actually different considering you are getting a bounce back. You have two choices as i see it:
1. Update the Nk2 file on all machines and remove that from the shortcut list, you can do that manually. There are programs out there that will do this on a mass scale if your user base is too large to do manually
2. Create a pointer in AD which actually uses the same shortcut, so that when users still use their shortcut it's actually pointing to the new email address. I'm assuming you made an exchange object, not an actual user in AD.

We've made a user in AD and exchange acount. and just forward the emails to IT@company.com to the IT team. with 2, So making a pointer in AD on the IT@company.com will make their outlook cached shortcuts point back to the new exchange account?

with 1, I will need a software as we have over 150 staff, so this software(if you could give me a link please) will update the nkfile on all users and alter the shortcut to point to the new exchange account?

UPDATE: I just ran a program with Nk2 and its works however I can not find a program that can do this when people log in, nor a script that can edit the file after they login.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom