Do I need a server? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Technology > Servers and Virtualization
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Do I need a server?

Hello,

Sorry if this is a foolish question and thanks in advance for your time.

The boss wants to save money (shocking news right?) So he's looking at G Suite or 365 for file storage and email. Not as ideal as hosting, the boss understands, but since it will be free for us (as a not-for-profit) it has his attention.

Do I need a server for our other needs or are there other solutions? We have approximately 50 users that share approx. 30 Windows PCs. We share printers. Operate out of two buildings with a wireless bridge connecting them. Have 2 NVRs for a lot of cameras (they do allow remote viewing).

Obviously there is a lot I don't understand and (I'm sure) more information I should provide but I'm not a real IT person. If anyone can assist with info I would appreciate it.

And on the off chance our real IT person sees this; it's not that the boss doesn't believe you he just see savings and wants to be sure.

Thanks everyone.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Do I need a server?

GSuite would be an excellent start as far as handling emails, calendars, and simple storage.

Need more info for the rest.
Are your printers all network printers? How are they shared at the moment?
Do your NVRs have their own inbuilt storage and is it adequate for your needs?
What size file storage do you need? Do you need structured access (e.g. allow user X access but not user Y for folders ABC).

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you for your reply.

Almost all of our printers are shared, some on our current server but others shared through the hosting PC. I don't imagine it would be a problem to move the server based ones to connect to a PC and share from there.
The NVRs do have their own storage (they are really new, just finished install this week so I don't know if the storage is enough but I assume if not, there would be other, non-server solutions we could pursue).
We are knocking on a couple of TB total file storage and do need structured access. We aren't opposed to paying for a couple of user accounts with Microsoft or G-Suit to give us the storage space we need.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Best question here is how sensitive is the data being handled?

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Best question here is how sensitive is the data being handled?
Very sensitive. Are you suggesting G Suite and 365 would not be secure enough to protect the data? Thanks!