Computer Online on Server; Cannot Find Physical

Tywynn

Beta member
Good morning everyone,

I recently had my company's IT job dropped into my lap. My first order of business was to put antivirus on the three unprotected computers after noticing that they've been running for quite some time without it. This is where I ran into a bit of a snag.

Two of the computers were exceptionally easy to find, whereas the third shows on the Windows Small Business Server 2011 as being online but no one knows where it might be and no amount of searching has panned out. I'm at a loss as to where this computer is and I've tried requesting a remote assistance to at least figure out where it is but that didn't work either.

I really just want to get the virus protection onto the computer, is there some other way I can do that?

Thanks in advance!

Well if it's online and RDP is enabled you should just be able to RDP into the computer. No real reason you should have to physically be there.

If being physically at the console is required find out what IP the PC is using. Unless you have a very small office your subnet should be divided up logically, by floor or department. So depending on the IP of the computer depends on it's location.

Secondly, if it has speakers you could play a wav file to help locate the PC.

Back
Top Bottom