Cloud Storage Porject Ideas?

thelad84

Beta member
Hi new to the forum and first post.
Probably in the wrong section.

Doing a final year degree and have to do a project have a interest in cloud computing would like to focus around the area of cloud storage.

I am looking for help on ideas for a suitable project, any help in this area would be great please.

it's pretty straight forward if you're only building a cloud storage service like Dropbox. You simply host and automate account creation process as well as maintaining as many interface to that data for your customer. However, you'll have difficulty in gaining customers while competing against larger cloud providers and public distrust from the whole NSA scandal.

I think you could make quite a bit of money or generate a bit of interest if you try to specialize your cloud storage service for niche market such as computer animation industry rather than providing cloud storage in general. 2D or 3D animations eat up TONS of space, so if you can specialize on that to reduce file size and improve the ease of access for your customer, you'll probably do well on global market. For a picture of reference, 1 frame can reach 50 mb of data. In a normal uncompressed 60 FPS movie, it can reach up to 27 Terabytes for 2.5 hours of 60 FPS movie. It probably be far less if you compressed it down to somewhere below 5 Terabytes while still mainitaining lossless quality.

it's pretty straight forward if you're only building a cloud storage service like Dropbox. You simply host and automate account creation process as well as maintaining as many interface to that data for your customer. However, you'll have difficulty in gaining customers while competing against larger cloud providers and public distrust from the whole NSA scandal.

I think you could make quite a bit of money or generate a bit of interest if you try to specialize your cloud storage service for niche market such as computer animation industry rather than providing cloud storage in general. 2D or 3D animations eat up TONS of space, so if you can specialize on that to reduce file size and improve the ease of access for your customer, you'll probably do well on global market. For a picture of reference, 1 frame can reach 50 mb of data. In a normal uncompressed 60 FPS movie, it can reach up to 27 Terabytes for 2.5 hours of 60 FPS movie. It probably be far less if you compressed it down to somewhere below 5 Terabytes while still mainitaining lossless quality.

Hi i am not to concerned about making money from this its a project i have to do for college.
Would you have any ideas around cloud storage? It is split into two parts research project and then a technical project. But more focus is on the research side of the project.

Any help relating to this subject would be great thank you.

Back
Top Bottom