Can a Server be Mobile? (on a laptop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

just one question

Beta member
Hi Everyone,

I dont know much about servers and such so I would like to know if a laptop can be used as a mobile server? We have 2 new laptops at work. Both have a CAD program on them that we purchased for a new machine. One is supposed to be the server and the other a client (we only have one license for the program that passes between the 2) they work fine at the shop together but when they are away from the shop the client can not access the server...
Can i make the server computer a mobile server so that no matter where i am; as long as there is an internet connection the client can see it? if so how can i go about it and does anyone know a ballpark cost?

Thank you for your time.

i'll assume this is for a work environment. I would suggest setting up a vpn server. This will allow you to connect to your corporate network from any other network that allows this internet access. Most internet connections allow this because telecommuters commonly use this technology.

if you're using windows, you can set it up by following the steps below. if you are not a admin of your work network then you will need to talk to the network admin. you will need a public ip address

do windows 7 have vpn server build in?

Ok I tried this and I could not get it to work. Both of these computers leave the office every night. I take one home(The server) and my boss takes the other (the client) Is it still possible to make the connection this way?

you could, but its not ideal. i anticipate headaches with this type of setup. what you could do is signup for a dynamic dns service so your server machine gets assigned a dns name; eg CADserver.no-ip.net. You would install their software on the server so it could update the dns record when the ip changes. the ip will change when you move to a different location or your isp issues a new ip.

problems may arise with port forwarding. you would need to configure certain ports on both home routers to allow the vpn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom