Active Directory Install Kills Computer

Yevrag35

Pushing Daisies on Saturn
I moved sections:

So, I have tried multiple times to install Active Directory on another computer that I have. But every time I do, after the installation tells me to restart the computer, the computer will sit on this windows screen for over an hour...
vista_boot_screen_1-400x300.gif

, then only to black screen with the cursor in the middle for another two hours, then reboots itself, and starts the process over again. It never reaches the login screen at any time. So then I have to reformat and reinstall Windows.

*Note:
-All other roles and features of Windows Server 2008 R2 install just fine.
-I've tried to install the DNS Server before installing AD.
-I've installed all of the windows updates before installing.
-So far as I know, the install of Server 2008 is not corrupt is anyway, as I've installed it to a VM, and AD installs with no trouble.

It's not urgent or anything, I'm just wondering why it won't install on this particular computer.

Office Politics - that article you linked to is exactly the problem, however their suggested fix did not solve the problem.
The 100MB System Reserved Partition is labeled as the C drive (while the real C drive is the D drive). I tried using Windows RE to change the mounted devices registry, but that didn't work. I also tried removing and manually assigning drive letter through diskpart, and that didn't work either.

I'm going to try booting into windows PE and try this time though. I'll post back with results.

Alright, so I THOUGHT that the drives letters being messed up was the problem, but I was wrong.

Here's what I found in the last three days:
1. Reinstalled Server 2008 R2 WITHOUT the 100mb partition, same problem.
2. Isolated server on its own network, same problem.

I'm just sick and tired of constantly re-imaging this computer, so I configured a VM on my other computer (I made sure the AD installation worked) and transferred the VM to the "problem-computer". Now the VM will run on this computer with a bridged network link to the host, so it's connected to the outside network, and have physical access to that local computers drives.

It's messy, but hey, it works.

Back
Top Bottom