SSD Tweak Guide - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Official TF Tutorials
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: SSD Tweak Guide

I saw your post so I re-ran the AS-SSD Benchmark on my drive. It scored better than yours, but worse than my last run. So I cleaned up my drive thinking it would force the TRIM command and I re-ran AS-SSD again, this time my seq. write was worse than yours so I did some investigating and found this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCZ Forum
SF have told me a drive with incompressible data will bench sequentially a LOT SLOWER than a drive with a mix or more compressible data...so just by using AS-SSD you are actually limiting the drives speed.Also speed is directly linked to what has been written to the drive and what is being written. This seem linked to TRIM speed also where GC reallocates blocks that have had compressible data written to them faster than blocks with incompressible data.
Moving on:
TRIMs do not happen the way they do on indilinx, a TRIM on the SF drives happens in a much more controlled way and is far more accurate to keep WA as low as possible, this means selected blocks in order are pushed thru for erase and made available...This also slows the drive down a little.

The short of it is this, under normal usage patterns these drives perform well, as soon as you hit them with AS-SSD or CDM a few times you are infact inducing problems to the drives and I am now strongly thinking OCZ should not support their use due to the side effects they have on the performance there after.

As for the speeds.. only the Sequentials are affected, because of the sheer volume of data involved in large file transfers. The Random speeds, which are more representative of OS usage day to day, remain largely excellent. Even so, Sequentials drops in real world OS usage (where caching policies are used) DO NOT reflect what AS_SSD and CDM or Passmark sequentials report. Because of System Cache, the largest drop in write speed you are likely to see (using compressed or compressable data) is around 10-15%. This as opposed to benchmarks that may show 50% drop.

Here is the thing, if you hammer the driver with say enough writes that the drive would under normal use/see in 7 days within a few hrs, the drive will slow down for 7 days, maybe longer. It does this to protect the nand life. So your guys seeing a 50% drop may actually see 30% which is the normal drop, then a further 20% because at some stage they have hammered the drive and then not realised its going to take 5 days or longer for the speed to creep back up. Also remember this write quantity slowdown is further impacted by how you use the drive after you have hammered it.

On a SF drive a TRIM does not happen instantly, the trim is issued and the addy for that trim is mapped, the controller then sees you are writing more data so it kicks into active TRIM and write mode where it pulls the most suitable blocks from the map, resets them and then writes to them. From the look of things this happens on the fly.
Also the controller ONLY cleans what it needs for a given write, not 1 block more.

And lastly the speed of the TRIMs is dependent on what was previously written to the blocks, with incompressible data taking longer to TRIM then compressible data. If you are at this time writing an incompressible data file to the drive this is then going to make it look even slower.
expecting the SF drive to actively clean large amounts of blocks then run them at full speed when you run a benchmark so the drive reports a fast speed...NOT going to happen. The drive does not clean huge amounts of blocks as this would massively increase write amplification and end up killing the nand much faster.
Basically, what there saying is, the TRIM command does not work the same way with the new drives. With the old drives anytime you deleted something the TRIM command was issued. With these new drives the TRIM command is issued before a write but it doesn't clean the whole drive, only what it needs for the write. And then, based upon your "average" general usage it cleans the drive slowly when not in use. It does this slowly to prolong drive life over performance, but even with the somewhat slower performannce it is still a lot faster than an older SSD.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
As for the speeds.. only the Sequentials are affected, because of the sheer volume of data involved in large file transfers. The Random speeds, which are more representative of OS usage day to day, remain largely excellent. Even so, Sequentials drops in real world OS usage (where caching policies are used) DO NOT reflect what AS_SSD and CDM or Passmark sequentials report. Because of System Cache, the largest drop in write speed you are likely to see (using compressed or compressable data) is around 10-15%. This as opposed to benchmarks that may show 50% drop.
From what I understood the AS SDD reports a 50% speed drop, which is my case, but "in real life" this decrease is around 10/15 % but only to preserve the NANDs. So, my results are normal, good to know
Thanks for the explanation.

ASUS P5P77D :: INTEL i5 750@3.6 GHz :: Asus HD4890 :: 4GB Gskill Ripjaw 1600MHz CL7 :: WD Black 1TB :: SSD OCZ Vertex2 60GB :: Corsair 750TX :: LG L204WT :: Windows 7 x64

<<<<<<<<<< If you think I've been helpful in anyway rep me :p
Old 05-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie

Any chance you could explain what each tweak does too? Rather then just telling us how to do it?
Like what does Enable Write Caching do? or Disable Superfetch / Prefetch do?
It would help a lot

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I don't have the time to go through all of that, I suggest you try a simple google search.

However, all/most of these tweaks are recommended by the various manufacturers.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Thanks for the guide Very helpful in tweaking my Agility 3.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 06-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

I still need to use the Tweak Utility myself.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 06-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I used it a couple of weeks ago just to make sure I didn't skip something
Old 06-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Send a message via MSN to Oreo

I did all this after i got my drive a while back. Made little noticeable difference to be honest, though it's supposed to be better for the drive.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Techie

LoL

you have the time to take 20 some screenshots, add red rectangles and arrows and whatever else to them, upload them, embed them in a huge (and incidentally very useful post) but you don't have time to quickly explain what each does?!?

something smells. weak sauce.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Why write what they do if there already good explanations out there? This is just a list of tweaks, not an in-depth guide to the workings of the Windows OSs.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Closed Thread