How to keep WinXP really fast & stable

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: How to keep WinXP really fast & stable

wierd. make you that you have the files place right, inside the right folder and that they are arranged right

driverpack1.jpg

driverpack2.jpg

Well no wonder why XP is <removed> itself your using a more graphically intense theme.
You don't think that that would slow the OS down? Silly people, just go back to Windows Classic and suck it up.

Themes have nothing to do with how fast or slow your Windows is. Using Windows Classic theme will not make your PC faster than using a "Graphic Intensive" theme.

Those are loaded and use absolutely NO resources after they are loaded with the Kernel.

So try to understand how themes work before you criticize someone for their selection of themes. That is just a replacement of the UXTheme.dll with a theme. It isnt using any software to do it so it acts just like the Windows Blue, Silver or Green themes.

All of which use ABSOLUTELY NO resources. None. If it was using StyleXP then yes it does. Even Windowsblinds doesnt use resources anymore.

Have a nice day.

Themes have nothing to do with how fast or slow your Windows is. Using Windows Classic theme will not make your PC faster than using a "Graphic Intensive" theme.

Those are loaded and use absolutely NO resources after they are loaded with the Kernel.

So try to understand how themes work before you criticize someone for their selection of themes. That is just a replacement of the UXTheme.dll with a theme. It isnt using any software to do it so it acts just like the Windows Blue, Silver or Green themes.

All of which use ABSOLUTELY NO resources. None. If it was using StyleXP then yes it does. Even Windowsblinds doesnt use resources anymore.

Have a nice day.

Very well, I will not retract my previous statements, in my past work, clients and otherwise have always experienced bad performance when they have slow computers (not all of us can afford the best) and are using added themes, the classic or standard XP theme does award them better performance, yes you may have your facts straight. However you are talking about an operating system that doesn't listen to facts, you have an OS that is bloated, badly designed and bumbles with system resources at every turn, so you cannot rule it out, I have battled with XP for so many years now, too many horror stories to account, if you cant share in my pain than you don't have enough experience.

i have used Windows since Windows 1.0 and use it up to Windows 7 which i am currently using. I have fought with Windows more than most and i have been awarded by Microsoft for my work to helping others and for my knowledge.

If you have a issue contact Trotter.

I have used windows XP for a very long time. Since it was a beta. I used Vista since 2005 when it was in Beta. I am using Windows 7 currently. So really do not assume that i have not had my battles. I have more than most.

i have used Windows since Windows 1.0 and use it up to Windows 7 which i am currently using. I have fought with Windows more than most and i have been awarded by Microsoft for my work to helping others and for my knowledge.

If you have a issue contact Trotter.

I have used windows XP for a very long time. Since it was a beta. I used Vista since 2005 when it was in Beta. I am using Windows 7 currently. So really do not assume that i have not had my battles. I have more than most.

<Off-Topic>How has Microsoft awarded you? Other than those pricey certificates they trick you or your companies into buying training for :). </Off-topic>

I have been award 2 years straight and not for any certificates that they tricked me into paying for. This was something presented to me by Microsoft. Not a single thing paid for all GIVEN to me. Hence the meaning of AWARDED. If i had paid for it it would be EARNED. You say you are a stickler for the spelling of the language. Should also know these terms as well.

To further my proof of said words. Quote the definition of Awarded as per Wikipedia:

An award is something given to a person or a group of people to recognize excellence in a certain field; a certificate of excellence

The definition of Earned from Dictionary.com:

1.To gain especially for the performance of service, labor, or work: earned money by mowing lawns

To be awarded means you are given credit for actions taken and not having to pay for them. To earn it is from service of which is paid for like taking a certification test.

Again you best be wise not to judge someone before you know anything about them.

What Windows XP theme is that?

I missed this question. that's the kimrock theme

kimrock theme

Well no wonder why XP is <removed> itself your using a more graphically intense theme.
You don't think that that would slow the OS down? Silly people, just go back to Windows Classic and suck it up.

this machine is a amd 6000 with 4 gigs of ram and a 256mb video card.

But the simple fact is that was a true statement 7 years ago when a xp computer consist of a 1.7 processor, 256mb ram and onboard video.

going to windows classic will only save you 60 megs of ram. so this is now a false statement. especially because a gig of ram now costs 20 bucks. I don't use style xp or windows blinds. I import my own themes unto my xp cd using nlite and it don't add any resources to the system.

just in case you missed line 4 of the original post

4. Go to display properties, change your desktop theme to windows classic, also change in the appearance tab to windows classic. Change these 2 things to classic will free up 60mb of ram alone. You use any old picture as desktop wallpaper

1. Reformat. Use the XP CD to break it into 2 partitions. Make one 20-40 gig for your operating system, the rest for your data (gamers need to make a 3rd 10-20 gig partition for your games). You can move my document to the 2nd partition. Go to start right click my documents, click properties (you can only do it here) and select move. Move it to you second partition. This will speed up disc performance plus if you have to reformat, you won't lose your data. Download all new things to the first drive and after a few weeks and you are sure they contain no virus or Trojan horses, then move them to the 2nd drive

2. If you have a second hard drive you need to move your paging file there. Make 2 partitions. The first is 5 gigs which will be your swap file drive (it is faster at the beginning). Go to system properties, click advance then performance and then advance again. You will now be at the page to change your paging file.

What do you mean by swap file drive? and Would it be better to have my paging file on the faster hard drive?

It is better to have your pagefile on a nonsystem drive.

Thanks, mak. but what is the 5gig swap file drive? Is that the partition you put the pagefile on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom