Admin Rights in Vista/Windows 7 - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Official TF Tutorials
Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Admin Rights in Vista/Windows 7

Hi, I am on Windows Home Premium 64-bit

How do I get to do this if my user account has been switched to Standard. I am unable to do any of the things you have posted. Everything I do asks for the admin password, but there is no place to type it and the Yes button is grayed out (can't use).

Bart Putnam

Old 12-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

You can't do this on a Standard User Account. You must do it from the Admin Account for all accounts.

I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 12-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I was able to boot up in Safe Mode. Thankfully, it gave the opportunity to login to the administrator account and was able to change my user account to administrator level.
To all who enable their administrator account - be VERY CAREFUL that you don't 'accidentally' change your main user account to 'Standard' level. I did this without realizing it. When I was playing around after enabling the administrator account, I looked at my user account and didn't think much about it when it was defaulted to standard level. I then disabled the administrator account and was then unable to do much of anything!! (Scared the crap out of me, I thought I was going to have to blow everything away and start from scratch.)

Thanks for your input,

Old 05-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #24 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Excellent - thanks for that - bloomin alerts had been the bane of my life!

Closed Thread