Tiny windmill Mk1

S0ULphIRE

Golden Master
My gf is from the country and has an unnatural love for water pump windmills - google those three words if you don't know what I'm talking about

So, I firstly realised my making-things skills have gone far down hill, and I'd need to do a practice run first. Enter the Tiny Windmill Mark 1 :D

My end goal for Mark 2 will be a legit windmill that powers a little LED or what have you when you blow on it, with the option to power it off a battery as well - great thing about DC motors, you can use them to power stuff, or you can use them to generate an electric current. Magnets man...how DO they work :p

I decided to use a little iPhone 5 vibration motor seeing as I have like 3 lying around. The rest of the bits I scavenged from whatever I could find around my desk. At this point all I really want is to get a basic build up to get a feel for the motor and what it can handle, and maybe some design elements so I have a better idea of how to approach things for Mark 2.

Motor:
Tcb4K6I.jpg

Used this thingy for the blades:
mkxyYrd.jpg

Bent some paperclips around a screwdriver and a whiteboard marker and used a bit of blu-tak to hold it in place while I did some messy soldering:
r5gudiX.jpg

Found a weird ball-joint thingy and made a crude stand out of some stiff wire
nqhnJ0h.jpg

Et Voila, windmill
w36GySW.jpg

I bent one of the motor pins down and soldered it to its metal outside casing, that way I only need to run 1 wire down from the motor to the coin cell battery at the bottom, and the frame becomes the other "wire".

And she runs! Albeit wayyy too fast :p this motor doesn't have a lot of torque, but it's got some damn fast RPMs so I'll definitely need to limit this. I was going to use a resistor, but I think the low torque of the motor would mean it might never start spinning, so PWM it is. I'll use a cheap 555 to generate my PWM cycle. PWM just means instead of a continuous "on", you have a signal that goes on/off in a ratio defined by you. 90% on and 10% off means the motor would run at near full speed. 10% on and 90% off means it'll run very slowly.
SXwTkwV.png

Seeing as this motor is so freakin' tiny, I definitely won't need a beefy power transistor to drive it, so I'll drive it directly from the output from IC555's pin 3 and ditch the rest of it. Cuts down price too :D

By far the most expensive part would be the 100k Pot (like $3 here) so I'll see if I can scavenge one off an old piece of junk somewhere. The rest of the parts cost about 10 cents each with the execption of the IC which costs $1.30

Total cost for the project so far: $2

Back
Top Bottom