A short and brief guide to the world of the VPN.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
After becoming very intrigued by the concept of the Virtual Private Network I have been going out my way one or twice a week to learn what I can about them. If I can help you; thus the reader learn anything you may not know I happy and have thus decided to place this thread hear in this forum due to my self making a Project out of it my self over a period of time.

A Virtual Private Network is just that. This is a Virtual connection you establish to the servers of your Provider over the internet in order to maintain security threw encryption. Essentially you will encrypt your DATA at your actual terminal or device with a desired output server of your choice. Once your DATA is encrypted is will then travel to your ISP, the actual VPN provider next then out on the WWW. This process is then turned around and repeated in reverse when the actual DATA has to come back over on it self. So, back to your VPN Provider and then your ISP and then back to your Network.

The whole process looks like this.

1. Your Terminal or Device. (DATA leaves Encrypted)

2. Your Network. (DATA travels threw Router & to your ISP.)

3. DATA is then channelled to your VPN Provider & leaves your \ their designated Servers of being the Country ISP chosen.

4. DATA is sent out to the WWW unencrypted and is to fetch the Query you made. (Such as Google.com.)

5. DATA is then returned back to the actual VPN Provider were it is encrypted.

6. DATA is received by your ISP fully encrypted and handed back over to your network.

7. DATA is received by your Network & unencrypted using the Keys or a given method of Decryption.

This process is very complex as at each stage their is a given hand over of some sorts.

The whole point of a VPN is protect the actual user privacy and Information of thats being sent and received. Your computer will have either some sort of Application depending on what service or even the actual Operating System you are running. For example if you are running Linux. You will typically be running the OpenVPN Protocol. With in the bigger set up of the VPN OpenVPN their will be an Encryption \ Decryption set of rules and keys to protect your DATA while being transmitted and received.

The actual Key or the encryption strength will depend on what is provided by your VPN Provider as some will offer various levels of DATA Encryption Security. The complex part is understanding when a tunnel is created between your Terminal and the actual VPN Provider being a two way system, this tunnel will differ vastly from other various methods of the VPN Framework.

If you go ahead and take out a VPN, its important that you understand what you are getting as most proxies will Log at least minimal information. With a VPN you wish to have a No Logging policy and to be customer friendly. If you can look for one thats LTE (Long Term Evolution) resilient.

A lot of VPN providers now offer Android services and the principal is pretty much the same with regards to the overall process. More and more people are turning to VPN Providers for domestic use to protect their Privacy for things such as Shopping and location tracking.

Their is still a lot I don't understand my self such as the various programming languages involved but have a good concept of the overall process. Feel free to ask Q's and I answer best I can.

Sorry I must of missed this. Its just force of habit. I have seen it many times done before and I have just done it since for no particular reason.

I've only ever seen this done to emphasise the word. Never to actually use it in a regular sentence. Putting it in all caps leads to the interpretation that the 4 letters are an acronym for something, which they are not. eg: TCP = Transmission Control Protocol and so on.

Back
Top Bottom