RJ11 using as power line?

TheDrunk

In Runtime
Wondering if i can use safley RJ11 cabling to power devices which are 5v 12v, and if i can, what is the maximum number of devices>?
I have a RJ11 splitter which gave me the idea, of converting it in order to power some lights which i am putting in a casemod I think it would look cool cyberpunkish and i will have three extra ports that IU would use to recharge devices. yet I am not knowing the maximum power I RJ11 and connectors can handle.

Why not. Long as it can supply 12v 3a I would be fine. I'm trying to do a cyberpunk case build. And it's either Rj11 which I have a ton of or RJ45 because I have older ports I can disassemble and turn in to power rails.

Resistance. RJ11 is usually around 100 ohms. They typically carry 3 to 9 volts with 20-80mA. Upping the amps from 80mA to 3A would require a cable with far less resistance. When you put too much power in a cable that has high resistance the result is heat.

Why don't you perform a table test of what you're saying. Literally test it out. Electrical tape a thermometer to your RJ11 and run that current through it and watch your cable gain heat and potentially catch flames.

Lookup Ohms law and do the calculations yourself. Determine the resistance you need for the current you want to run and find a cable for that resistance.

Depending on the wire in the RJ11, it's either 22 or 24 gauge as a standard in the US. It's rated to around 3-4A on the top end from what I've looked up...but like iParanormal said, that'll still produce quite a bit of heat.

Need to do some correction on the other end too, RJ11 and RJ45 is a cable end, not a cable. Cat 3 and Cat 5e are going to be about the same size 24 AWG, some Cat5e is 23 but still a tiny cable. As was being said it's going to get hot with that cable, so I'd source something else.

I did a lot of digging and math. they wouldnt last. the RJ11 will actually work, my nextdoor neighbors friend started getting me lost by how much they hold how far they can hold it, but it wouldnt be the line from jack to phone. I would have to find form box to jack line. which doesnt full fill my needs. there for I am going to be searching for cheap *** multi colored wire for my case mod.
if any one has any helpfull links to ordering good quality line, but cheap prices with out having to wait 3 months form china would be apreciated.

Back
Top Bottom