Redirecting Program Files and Program Files(x86) in Vista/Win7.

Overall I agree, however I find it unlikely most of us will be using a 60GB or 120GB SSD in 5-7 years' time.

Why not? Why would you replace the drive if it is still working properly? Think about that. If the drive is fully functional what would you rather upgrade? You mobo and CPU or get a new SSD when your current one is working fine.

I know I plan on using this 120GB SSD till the day it dies, then and only then will I replace it with another SSD. I see no point in purchasing a new SSD when this one is functional. Knowing the limitations of the drive to begin with, why would I want to use it for anything other than an OS drive. If I currently have one in use for that purpose and it is working, then what is the point of replacing it with a larger drive, no matter how cheap they are, if you are just going to do an even swap and have to reinstall everything anyways?

So yes I do see people using them in that amount of time. Cause I dont see people jumping completely over to SSD anytime soon knowing that they could never possibly last as long as a mechanical drive. I still have my first HDD in operational order. It may only be 64MB in space, but it operates today. That is from a PC back in 1993. Almost 20 years later and still functions if I choose to use it. Cant say that about a SSD. So till SSD can match that kinda lifespan, I fully see people using them till they die.

I still have my 500Gig Seagate running from 5yrs ago, and my foldie has a 7yr old or more ide drive.

Boo- I hate reinstalling my OS all the time, especially since I just got my man rig setup :(

Anyone cataloged SSD killing programs.. I've seem outlook likes to write alot.

Stay away from software that likes to use SQL like databases... Or any type of web development that stores the database files to SSD, while it's fast, it murders consumer grade drives, and apparently is very harsh on even enterprise level drives that are meant for such "abuse".

What about when you already have windows installed?

If you already have Windows installed with a bunch of programs, there is a note about it in the Original Post. It can and will cause issues for you with some programs. So it is suggested to do a clean install, update and then do the modifications. That way all your program installs will work as expected.

You can only do this on an active Windows installation.

Yes, but I think the question was can this be done on an install that has been in use for a period of time. ;)

Yes I am going to necro, for fun~! It is now 2020, 7+ years have passed, I still use a 120GB SSD. :p

Haha, love this. I moved from my 60GB to a 250GB back in 2015 or so, and from that to my 960GB a few months ago.

Back
Top Bottom